Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, January 27, 2008

30 myles? - 4.35:20

Platte River - 10:00 a.m.
clear, mid 50's, North wind
mind/body - fresh/tired
Medium effort

Uh-Oh!!! What a disaster today! I put the ? after the 30 myles because I'm not sure if I can count all 30 myles. I went out 15 myles in 1.51 then turned around into the wind. I went through mile 26 in 3.23 but I had been suffering for the last 7 myles. I had been out of water since mile 20 and only took 2 power gels. I should have known better because it was hotter today and the wind was blowing, which makes it worse w/o water. I stopped at a food market at 26, filled my water bottle and immediately drank the whole thing. My legs were achy and I had a little nausea. I was in pretty bad shape and was reduced to walk the final 4 myles. So should I count those last 4 or not? I say yes because it's all about time on your feet and even walking I was still feeling terrible.

Hmmm, maybe I should have skipped the 10 cupcakes, 4 late night quesadillas dripping in butter, the couple slices of cake, and all that beer on Thursday and Friday. When will I learn that bad food choices dictate my running performance? Coupled with the bad choice to only take 20 ounces of water and not enough calories disaster was just waiting.

I guess everybody has bad days but this was a bad day to have a bad day. I was going to use this run as a confidence booster for Red Hot 50K +. Is this the beginning of the end for me? I hope it was just a freak thing. Only time will tell.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shake it off. I was ringside to see your diet the last couple days. WOW! It was a special occasion and maybe a reminder. Going that far after your weekend was still impressive. 30 miles is 30 miles. Let it light a fire. Burn baby burn.

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ Manners... one tough run does not deserve a bad rap. You have to live alittle once in a while...