Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, January 13, 2008

23 myles - 2.58:21

Chatfield lolly pop loop - 9:45 a.m.
clear, calm, low 40's
mostly clean roads, muddy highline
easy effort

What a beautiful day! Not a cloud in the sky and no wind for a change. When I left my house this morning I didn't know where I was headed, I just started running West knowing I wanted to spend about 3 hours on my feet. I ended up running down an old route that I used when I was training for road marathons and combining it with the highline canal. I'm not sure how far the highline canal goes but it's a wonderful surface to run on - being a dirt road. Once on the highline I thought I could follow it to Waterton canyon, which was 10 myles away, but I ended up bush whacking parallel to the train tracks. I found my way back to Chatfield reservoir and back to my original tracks.

I never once pushed the pace, it was more of a casual/pedestrian pace throughout. This run was a perfect example as to why I use my first/last splits to measure my fitness: 7:00/7:44 today. Having said that, this is my longest run since September so I know I was dipping into the red a bit. I still felt good in the end (albeit slow) and recovered quick which is always a good sign.

No comments: