Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Friday, January 11, 2008

16 myles - 1.55:45

Sante Fe out/back - 11:30 a.m.
mid 30's, partly cloudy, Southeast wind
body/mind - felt great
medium effort

Today is a great day! Great because I had a very inspired run! Why inspired? What inspired fastED today? Well, I just got word that my title sponsor came through! Who, you might ask?? Check back on Sunday when I post my weekly review and I'll tell ya. A little hint though - this sponsor has created a new team this year. I would not be able to do all the races I want to do without this sponsor as they have agreed to pay for all my travel and entry fees - Wuhooo!!!!

3rd run of the week with 16 myles and I feel great! My first/last splits were: 6:45/6:26.... I did have a tail wind on the last mile so it's really not that big of a difference. During my runs I find myself casually looking at my watch at known mile markers, trying to calculate what I made the last mile in. I told myself I wouldn't do that but it's a habit that's hard to break. I have to keep repeating to myself, "time on my feet", "time on my feet" over and over again until I get it.

I re-read my post from yesterday and kind of felt I was denouncing any speedwork, that's not true at all. In the past, my main focus was on speed rather than the endurance. Moving forward my main focus will be endurance first and incorporate speed work into the long runs. I think the best way to do that is to pick out 3 or 4 myles during a long 3 + hour run and make them lactate threshold myles. This way I get time on my feet as well as a few spurts of good leg turnover. I still believe speed work is important no matter the distance raced but I've gotta be able to make the distance first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jaime! That is awesome. You deserve it. I cant wait until Sunday to see who it is. Good Luck with your year and your new sponsor.