Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Friday, December 18, 2009

9 myles - 54:13

Chatfield loop - 3:00 P.M.
40s, clear, no wind
mind/body - hesitant/strong
Hard effort

Prescribed: 60 minutes marathon pace (6:15) on flat pavement

Actual: 9 myles - 54:13 - avg. 6:01 - mostly flat on pavement

First mile was 5:37... "wait a minute, this isn't a 800 meter repeat - slow down!" So I did and settled in. But even after I settled in I was still hovering around 6 pace - breathing was relaxed and legs felt great. The question is, can I keep it up for 17 more myles?? I'm a little nervous to put up this kind of time because then my expectations change. I'm still gonna shoot for something in the 2.40 range but if I'm clicking off just above 6 pace for 20 myles in the race then I'll shoot for two thirty something.

I feel good about this workout but realize I still have a lot of work to do - speed work that is. The comforting thing is that I'm light years ahead in my training now as opposed to when I set my PR of 2.50 back in 2003.

On a side note: when I put "hesitant" as my state of mind at the top. I think what I really mean is "fearful". I'm either fearful to know how slow I've gotten or fearful of the pain I'm about to inflict upon myself - either way "hesitant" is always associated with speed work.

Almost forgot Mexican word of the day: MUSHROOM. Example: When all my family get in the car there's not mushroom.

2 comments:

Jon Allen said...

Have confidence in your training and in race day magic. I know my race goal of sub 2:35 was intimidating to think about, but I got it. As long as you don't go out too fast, you'll be fine, as well. Did you say your race is Phoenix RnR?

Unknown said...

yep AZ RNR. Have you run it Jon?