Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, December 28, 2009

10 myles

Daniels Park - 11:00 A.M.
40s, starting to see a little pavement, clear
mind/body - eager/strong
Hard effort

Prescribed: 1.15 easy with 10 x 1 minute on a 10% grade

Actual: 55:35 easy to and from hill; 10 x 1 minute (58:00-1.00:45) on an 8% grade; last mile 5:07:55

This nasty little hill has a source of pain for me for the last 4 years now - today it was no different. Last year was the first time I have ever gone under a minute and today I put them all under a minute. It's 0.18 of a mile (according to Google maps) and has a calculated grade of 8%. The road was pretty clear so I finally got the traction I wanted last week. This was more of a strength workout at VO2 max so I still didn't know how fast (or not) I was going.... soooo I decided to see how fast I could do the final mile of my cool down.

Lungs and legs were primed while the flat road was pretty clear. I had no idea how fast I was going so I just pushed whatever I had left in the ol legs. Legs started to get weak at the 3/4 mark, lungs felt great. 5:07:55 was the final number. And just to be sure I went back with the car to measure it, exactly a mile. My VO2 max mile mark is set at 5:15, based on my LT and mp so I was pretty close. This VO2 max mile was supposed to be part of another workout later in the week but I had to give myself confidence early for the week and will probably do it again for the other workout.

You know what's amazing?? Doing a 5:07 26 times in a row! That's a 2.14 marathon - simply amazing! And 2.14 is only a 'decent' marathon compared to the world's best. Man! Much respect. Give me a hill already...

Myles just before Christmas - the smile says it all!

No comments: