Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

8 myles

Jeffco Stadium - 10 A.M.
mid 50s, sunny, clear track
mind/body - reluctant/solid
Hard effort

Prescribed: 15 minute warm up, 8 x 1K in 3:15, 15 minute cool down

Actual: 15:05 warm up, 6 x 1K (3:19, 3:16, 3:15, 3:18, 3:18, 3:20), 20:20 cool down

I knew when I hit 3:20 with a much harder push on the 6th one, I was cooked. I didn't want to over-do it just to get 8 reps in. I'm happy with the result and feel like some speed is coming back.

As you can tell from the "prescribed", Paul Dewitt is coaching me again. I have registered for the Arizona Rock and Roll marathon on January 17th and I needed an extra kick of motivation to get the speed work in. If all goes well (with the speedwork) I will get my marathon PR out of the way early for 2010. Currently my PR is 2.50 but I think I can lower it by 7 minutes with the right training. We'll see how it goes and if I stay healthy.

Right after this run on Monday, I went into a solid two day meeting so I haven't run since. I hope to get out the next two days for a couple hour runs and then on Saturday run a 1/2 marathon race in Pueblo to finish the week off.

6 comments:

Justin Ricks said...

I am registered for the Arizona RnR marathon also. It looks like I might have gotten into the Houston Marathon so I might not be in Arizona after all. For sure I will be at the half on Saturday though. I guess I will see you there.

Matt said...

Marathon? Get that speed work done!

Look forward to following this. . .

Jon Allen said...

Scott-
I've been following your blog for a little while and seeing you do speedwork for a marathon raises a question for me that I'm hoping you can answer, esp. since you ran Rocky Raccoon last year and did very well. I'm doing it this year as my first 100 and have only been doing base mileage (minimal/no speedwork). I ran a 2:34 marathon in Sept so have some speed, but have only been working on endurance for the 100. In your opinion, do I need to do any speedwork before Feb (i.e. long tempo's, etc)? Or just base miles.

Thanks in advance for your advice
Jon

brownie said...

Sweet, I just beat Rick H for the first time, not it's time to knock off Fast Eddy! See you Saturday!

Unknown said...

Jon,

Yes on speed work. Certainly the most important aspect of is getting the distance in, as this is your first 100. But don't lose sight of speed work. Last year preparing for Rocky I did speed work twice a week. The reason is to be able to cruise more efficiently at a higher speed. What that means is that you are burning less fuel say at an 8 pace w/ speed work than w/o. You want to be able to go into the race knowing you can run an 8 pace ALL DAY LONG. My speed work consisted of: 8 x 1 mile @ 5:45 pace or 8 x 1:30 @ 5K pace or 60 minutes @ 6 pace. On the long runs, I would do back to back 4-5 hour runs and try to go faster on the back end.

You've got the speed in your legs but all that distance will take some out if you don't use it.

Good luck and try not to get dizzy going round and round.

Jon Allen said...

Thanks. That's along the line of what I was thinking, but it seems like most 100 training advice emphasizes all long, no fast. Then again, most 100 training advice is not for 16 hour guys.