Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, February 1, 2010

9 myles - 1.00:29

Lone Tree loop - 4:00 P.M.
40s, clear, dry
mind/body - solid
Hard effort

Very nice day today. I tried to get up this morning before work but couldn't drag my butt outta bed. I was gonna do 6 this morning and then do a tempo workout this evening. I'm not a big fan of a two-a-days but I need to bump up the mileage a bit over the next few weeks.

This run is almost two myles to the Lone Tree loop and then 2.61 on the loop. My tempo consisted of two loops: 16:34 (6:20) and 16:24 (6:17). Pretty good times considering about 350ft of elevation gain on dirt.

And the saga continues with the Phoenix RnR marathon. It appears they are going to pay Ken and I $750 each because we had identical chip times. I'm OK with that if that's what the rule says about awarding prize money - but it doesn't. What I'm more pissed about than anything else is they tried to justify their reasoning by saying I lined up in the elite corral - not true! Totally bogus! Here is Matthew Turnbull's email message:

After speaking with all parties over email or otherwise the decision on how to hand out prize money is as follows:

Both Ken Pliska and Scott Jaime will be awarded $750 each. The reasoning is because both had identical chip timing. Scott Jaime actually started in the elite athlete corral when he should have in fact started in corral number 1 to which he was assigned.

I hope all agree that this is the fairest way to solve this issue.

Best wishes

30 seconds before the start they allow everyone to move forward towards the start line. I moved forward with the group, behind a guy with a walkie-talkie. Basically what they are saying is that my gun time was better because I moved forward too close to the elites. Was there a separation between the elite and corral #1? No. I was surrounded by all the guys I was standing around in corral #1. Ken I'll still buy you a beer, not a big beer, but a beer nonetheless.

I know, I know what am I bitching about right? $750 is still $750 and more than I started with but it's the principle of doing the right thing

6 comments:

Paul DeWitt said...

Well this is still the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I don't care where anyone started, you crossed the finish line first. Ken - if you are reading this send Scott 250 please; you were 2nd. Period.

- Paul DeWitt

Geoff said...

I agree this is stupid. They're only respectable move at this point is to award you both $1000. RnRAZ was on my short list but now I am reconsidering.

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

That's bogus! Elite or not, shouldn't be that big of a deal you all still raced the same race.

Manners said...

My kind of race. It doesn't matter where you finish but rather where you start. I am pretty good at starting its that damn time between there and the finish that gets me.

brownie said...

Is this the kind of management we have to look forward to at Denver RnR now?

Unknown said...

This is exactly what you can expect from Competitor Events organization.