Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, February 20, 2010

20 myles - 2.18:53

High Line Canal - 11:00 A.M.
20s, snowing, packed/slippery snow
mind/body - good/strong
easy effort

Last night when thinking about this run I wanted to get a time around 2.10... kinda scrapped that idea once I saw the snow this morning. Man I felt good starting so I decided to make this some sort of cut down run. Starting at 8 pace I worked down to 6:16 for the last mile - 6:56 pace avg. It may not seem that impressive but there were places on the trail where the snow was cold (slippery) and deeper, making 7:30s lots of work. There were a few myles in the middle where I wasn't able to get faster but in the end I made sure I finished fast and strong. No water with me today but I did take one flask of EFS liquid shot and nipped at it every 15 minutes, good energy throughout. So just like last year, EFS liquid shot and water will be my nutrition plan for this year for 100K and below.

On another note, I've changed my race schedule a bit. I've elected to do Zane Gray 50 on April 24th instead of Spring Desert Ultra. Timing works out better for me race wise, plus I have a work meeting in Phoenix the week before Zane Gray. Not to mention I'll get to run some myles with PI-Smith teammate Josh Brimhall.

11 comments:

AJW said...

I'm doing Zane Gray as well.

Unknown said...

JayDub - your schedule changes every week... Look forward to seeing you at Buffalo or is that off now?

AJW said...

Yeah, I know the schedule has been changing alot mainly due to Carson's ever-changing ski racing schedule. And, it is as a result of that schedule that Buffalo is off the list.

So, the FastEd/AJW lineup looks like this:

Round 1 - Zane Gray
Round 2 - Pocatello 50
Round 3 - The Bear

Maybe since I am in WS and you are in HR we can make some sort of wager on those races as well. Here's my suggestion: I'll spot you 9 hours at HRH. I run 17:20 at WS you need to run 26:19 at HR. Interested?

Unknown said...

Deal! But Whoa! IF neither one of us can get that time (or both get) then The Bear is the rubber match for all the marbles. These other two 50's are for beers - as many as you can handle post race courtesy of the victor.

WMRC said...

We're looking forward to seeing both you guys in AZ!!

Jon Allen said...

Hopefully I'm not too far behind the two of you at Pocatello and the Bear so I can enjoy the competition!

Just curious- you do EFS and water for 100k-. What do you do for 100k+?

AJW said...

Here's the deal. You just have to finish inside 9 hours slower than my WS time. Whatever that is. And, ZG and Poky are for beers and the Bear is the real smackdown.

Unknown said...

Alright JayDub.

Jon - 100k and 100 mile I'll actually eat real food (salted/boiled potatoes) in conjunction with EFS and ecaps. EFS might work for the whole race but I think it would get old and chewing on something mixes it up. Besides, your body is able to process real food better early in the race and then when it shuts down later more liquid stuff. My favorite foods are those pretzels with peanut butter inside and pumpkin pie.

Nick said...

Jaime dodging the competition again.

Jon Allen said...

Pumpkin pie- sounds good, but I'm not sure I could down one during a race. Although one guy I crew always enjoys a bacon cheeseburger around mile 75 or so. To each their own, I guess.

Unknown said...

been there, done that (SDU).... it's too easy. Follow me to ZG , could be an epic battle Clarkee.