Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Thursday, February 18, 2010

10 myles - 1.13:26

Daniels Park - 8:00 A.M.
30s, overcast, somewhat dry
mind/body - good
very easy effort

I felt decent and, in fact, had the urge to go fast(er). I knew, however, that I must have a couple days when I just spin the wheels. Today was a great day to do that and try to enjoy myself. And don't get me wrong, I always enjoy myself once I'm out there, it's the 'getting out' that's usually the tough part. How many times have you been out there when you say "man this is great!" and just a few minutes before you were dreading to even go?

On my runs lately I've been thinking about some crazy training runs leading up to Hard Rock. I want to be faster than I was last year and I remember how hard I trained last year so these crazy runs keep popping into my head. For instance, yesterday on Mt Sanitas I was thinking of going around 10 times... Or another one is doing the Incline for 12 hours... Or how bout doing a triple summit on Pikes in early July? I know crazy thoughts but the fact of the matter is that I need to do more vertical gain than I did last year to better my time.

11 comments:

Shad Mika said...

Dude,

You need to come join us when we go Bear Baggin. Repeats of Fern Canyon up and down Bear Peak in Boulder for 12 hours. There is usually 5-10 of us and everyone does thier own thing since the trail is only 1.25 miles each way but it gains 2100ft in that 1.25 miles to top out at 8500ft. E-mail me if you would like more info on this at shadmika@gmail.com.

Later

Shad

Gangels said...

Maybe you should go for 31 laps

http://home.comcast.net/~pbakwin/fkt/sanitas.html

I particularly like report

-TG

Unknown said...

Wow I guess my thoughts aren't that crazy! I may try both of those. TG it looks as though if I get 17 laps I would have FKT for Sanitas in 12 hours... 31 is a little nutty!

GZ said...

If you do that on Sanitas (a mtn named after a sanitarium), let us know ... I am sure more than a couple of us will show up for a lap or two. And then I will sit there and watch and drink beers and smile.

But seriously - good stuff. I think about this stuff as the winter turns to spring. I mean, if we are really going to do something that is that unthinkable (a hundred, Pikes, etc), why not do some crazy ass shit in workouts? I have contemplated the run from my house to Green and back. Green would only be about 6 miles of that 35 mile RT.

Why not?

Stuart Swineford said...

The Front Range Five (Sanitas, Flagstaff, Green, Bear, South Boulder) is also a pretty good challenge, especially if you dropped all the way down to the South Mesa Trailhead and then did them all again on the way back. Bear baggin' and Sanitas laps are both great ways to log some vert.

~stubert.
http://www.runsturun.com

Unknown said...

Lot's of options here. I will let you all know if, I mean, when I try something crazy... might as well spread the pain around in training rather than keeping it all to the race, right?

brownie said...

I wanna try this, followed by a Hope Pass out and back:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/169004/belford-oxford-missouri-iowa-and-emerald-via-missouri-gulch-th.html

Do that on a Saturday, then camp at Kite Lake, then do the DeCaLiBro a few times on Sunday.

Unknown said...

The BOMIE! Let's do it! You give me a couple dates and plan it

Shad Mika said...

I have done those routes, they are a lit of fun. Missouri holds a lot of snow into the end of May so keep that in mind.

Unknown said...

Browneye - set a date and invite Shad. Shad's a climber and can shed some light to us low landers afraid of heights...

brownie said...

I don't know. You and I would call this training, Shad would call it a "man-date." Not sure I wanna cross that line.