Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, March 2, 2009

10 myles - 1.10:48

HR urban trails - 3:00 P.M.
74! Enuf said.
mind/body - hesistant/strong
easy effort

Prescribed workout: 60+ minutes easy/steady with hill sprints

Actual workout: 10 myles 1.10:48 avg. 7:04. Easy/steady pace with 7 x 10 second hill sprints (8%)

Leading up to the run, I just didn't feel like running but how can anyone pass up a day like this! 74 degrees for March 2nd?? The weather was enough to bring my mind around and have a pretty decent run. I felt light on my feet with easy breathing. I honestly believe these short hill sprints are helping me run strong - granted I've only done two sets so we'll see in the long run.

WTC is less than 2 weeks away and the official course came out yesterday. It's pretty common knowledge that WTC was not a "true" 50K with 29.xx myles but the new RD decided to lengthen the course to exactly 31 myles. Why now? Why not leave it for 20+ year tradition. Does the new RD realize that even at 31 myles it's still not a "true" 50K? I don't get it? Oh well, it is what it is. Uil's record was soft anyways...

Throw away all your old splits and overall times because this year everyone WILL take longer - save those few who have the best day of their life. I'm just hoping to break 4 hours this go-round...

On another note, I saw a funny bumper sticker today that read "The End of an Error - January 20th, 2009". And not to be outdone a funny quote "If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
If you like that last quote, you need to spend a little (or a lot, like I do) time at www.despair.com

I agree about wtc. They should've just left it short(er). It's really no different than the courses like Red Hot that are known, and embraced, as long.

Figure two extra miles won't take you any longer than 14 mins, so I think you'll still go under 4.