Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, December 29, 2008

22 myles - 2.33:40

Utah - 11:00 A.M.
upper 30s, cloudy, slushy roads
mind/body - hesitant/responsive
easy effort

Prescribed workout: 2.30-2.45 - easy effort - back to back long runs

Actual workout: 22 myles - 2.33:40 - easy effort - 6:59 avg. Went South this time along the back roads into Centerville via the Legacy Hwy path.

This run was a confirmation that the mind is the only limitation! I was real hesitant to get out the door - basically told myself not to expect too much and I would turn around if I didn't feel it. To my surprise I hit my first mile in 6:50, which was faster than all the myles yesterday. I kept checking the watch and kept hitting at or below 7 min/mile with minimal effort. I still felt good the last mile with a split of 6:42! My second half split was 1.17:02 which was a little slower than the first but still promising. I ate a total of 4 GU Roctane gels every 45 minutes and could tell when they were wearing off. This is a good sign because it shows my system is accepting this type of energy source and I can only hope it will continue to respond beyond the 10 hour mark. My confidence is growing....

1 comment:

Paul DeWitt said...

Nice job on the double long runs!

Be glad you are in Utah; we had wind gusts of over 60MPH along the Front Range this morning. It is warm though.
- pauld