Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Friday, March 28, 2008

12 myles (9 - 1.01:14)

Grigs loop - noon
partly cloudy, low 40's, North wind
mind/body - better/fast(er)
medium effort

I did 9 myles on a loop road/trail course and then 3 myles on the track. As I started my mind was hesitant but as I got going I realized my body was being real responsive. I ate some beans, rice, and tortillas for dinner last night which means I got some "real" food in me for a change. It's an amazing concept: food=energy! For the last week I've been eating nothing but some sort of grain or rice cereal which gives me just enough energy for cognitive thought. I weighed myself two days ago and the scale read 155.4 lbs! This is the same electronic scale I've been using at the gym since I started weighing myself and it's been pretty accurate thus far. Under 156 is too low for me so now it's time to get back to the magical 158.

Having said that with a little food in me, I returned to feeling good on the run again. I cruised around the loop and got on the track and felt really good. I did 2 x 1 mile repeats (5:45, 5:44) and then 2 x 800 (2:45, 2:44) pretty consistent all the way around. I felt really comfortable with this pace, in fact after I got done with each mile I jogged only 200 m before I started my next repeat. I really concentrated on my form and relaxed breathing. Lately I've noticed when I get tired I start to slap my feet and hunch forward - today I was cognisant of being light on my feet and keeping my shoulders back as I got tired. I gotta tell ya every time I get on the track it reminds me of high school track (some 20 years ago) when I swore I would never run after high school. I hated it that bad then and still hate the track now! Who would have thought 20 years later I'd be doing 50 and 100 mile races?? Go figure....

No comments: