Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Friday, October 22, 2010

9 myles - 1.05:00

Southridge Treadmill - 8:00 AM
hot and steam in that room
mind/body - better than yesterday
hard effort

I had planned for 6 x 1 mile @ 5:50 pace today but I just didn't feel like driving over to Chatfield. In fact, I was going to throw in the towel today (11 myles yesterday felt terrible) but Jaxon suggested we go to the gym. How can I pass that up?!?! Jaxon has a mile test next week in school so he wanted to get a little practice on the indoor track.

I resorted to the treadmill, specifically the dreaded Kenyan cutdown with a little twist. The Kenyan cutdown is basically starting at 7 MPH and increasing 0.1 MPH every lap or 1/4 mile, going up to 10 MPH. The twist was increasing the incline to 4% on every 4th lap. I'm happy to say I made it all the way through to 10 MPH! The last 4% @ 9.7 MPH was very hurtful but even more-so was trying to recover flat @ 9.8 MPH. I'm sure people around me thought I was going to die. This workout is all about recovering with a fast pace. What an ingenious workout Paul crafted for me last year!

Speaking of treadmills, what do you think of this one? Woodway makes a very fine TM but they're not cheap so I'd like to get some input before I take the plunge. Does anyone have any experience on this machine?

Non-motorized Woodway Curve

10 comments:

Gangels said...

That is a pretty sweet looking machine for the winter months although the price tag is steep for what you get. What exactly warrants the 6000 dollar price tag? I also tend to enjoy playing with the incline and speed during running to alleviate the boredom. Drug dealing is treating you well. Good luck at MM, WS or bust!

Unknown said...

Drug dealing company pays/rations me just enough to get by... The rest/majority goes to funding research...

nmp said...

Have you ever run on one of these? I would be curious how it feels with no motor. I would think you need some sort of way to provide resistance but not too much so it still feels natural when running. Probably some pretty expensive bearings and whatnot warranting the 6k price tag

WMRC said...

No doubt woody is the best if you can afford it. I am curious about that curve. The running surface looks short. In the video it looks like some of the runners strides are on the verge of stepping past the surface. Interesting though.

Are you planning / thinking about your 2011 schedule yet? Arizona?
Kevin

Unknown said...

Nick - never run on one of these. More curious than anything about the non-motor and curvature. Just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone has some time on it.

Kevin - I've wanted a Woodway for a long time, just trying to justify the cost. I've got a Nordic track in the garage right now that I've had for 12 years so it's time. Still planning the 2011 season, I'm all over the place right now. PI may have a series that will dictate my season but I have to wait to see what happens. I recommended ZG as part of the series so in that case I would come back down to AZ.

nmp said...

Out of curiosity, what was your final recommendation for an ultra series?

Unknown said...

Well for the simple fact that I was really selling this idea to PI I decided to keep my recommendations localized and small to start. If it turned out to be a success then grow into a bigger series down the line. Having said that my recommendation were 4 races at each ultra distance:

Red Hot 50K
Zane Gray or Pocatello or San Juan
Katcina Mosa 100K
The Bear

It was tough with the 50 mile because there are so many good races stacked together. All low key but I thought that was important to keep costs low AND pay some money to the top 3 men and women per race.

nmp said...

Good stuff!

GZ said...

Not sure about that curved treadmill but have heard the Woodways are the best. I have a Life Fitness mill that goes to 12 mph, 15 percent grade - with a nice broad deck. FWIW - much cheaper than the Woodway, has a couple of thousands of miles on it and it has a helluva lot more than I can handle.

Anonymous said...

Oh you are not going to buy this treadmill so that you can run on it maybe 5 times a year..