Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, October 18, 2010

12 myles - no time

Daniels Park - 7:00 AM
40s, clear, dry
mind/body - clear/strong
Hard effort

Coming off a "day off" is always a good mini test to see what race day is gonna feel like. I ran 9 days straight with 118 myles prior to yesterday so yesterday was refreshing.

The air was crisp this morning but felt good. 4 mile w/u and c/d to and from "the hill". And then 10 x 1 minute @ 10% grade. And just for my future reference here are the splits: 1:03:01, 1:02:87, 1:03:44, 1:01:19, 1:01:25, 1:02:19, 1:01:50, 1:01:50, 1:01:31, 1:01:25. The trend is that I was getting faster and that's what I wanted. On each one the legs were getting heavy the last 20 seconds with the last 3 sets above LT. I figure the last 3 is where I started to build up my LT a bit. Last time I did this workout during my marathon build up I was hitting 1 minute flat but that was after 5 weeks of speedwork so these numbers today are a good sign.

On another note, check out this photo below. My father in law sent me this photo of this guy taking a self portrait recently in South Dakota. He had no idea the cat was there until he got home and saw the photos. Makes me wonder how many times cats are watching me.

The eyes on the cat are just creepy

And last, what do you think of the latest BCS rankings? What a terrible system! OU goes from 6 to 1 over Boise State and TCU? Not to mention Oregon! C'mon. The system is seriously flawed. I guess Boise State will just have to beat OU, again....

6 comments:

mtnrunner2 said...

The lion in the photo: yikes! It must have been pretty hungry to get that close to people.

Based purely on odds, I'm sure I've been observed before. I've seen a lion once, and only its back and tail as it was sneaking away (it was near a creek and I think the water sound covered the sound of my footsteps). That's still one time too many.

GZ said...

Hey - sweet header photo.

I have to wonder if that photo with the cat is real, but it makes for a great shot.

Unknown said...

I wonder too with all the things you can do with photos on the computer these days. At any rate, it's possible

peter said...

One the RN's in our clinic was showing this photo around. I was skeptical, but it turns out her husband knows the guy who was taking the photo with a timer and a tripod.

JWW said...

Sorry photo's a fake... makes a good story though

http://www.snopes.com/photos/hunting/stalking.asp

peter said...

JWW, Thanks. I guess I should have trusted my gut that it was a fake.