Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, October 9, 2010

11 myles - ~1.30

50s, clear, dry
mind/body - good
hard effort

Good quality stuff today and little arse kickin done by Mr. Lucho!

Met up with Mike Wasserman, Patrick Garcia, and Aaron Kennard thanks to the open invitation from Tim Waggoner to do a little hill speed work. We did a 2 mile w/u, followed by 6 x 1 mile (actually last one was only 0.64 but fast) with 2 minutes rest in between each mile. I was telling Lucho the hardest part about doing intervals or speed work are the days leading up to the actual workout, not so much the workout itself. I guess I just don't wanna know how much speed I've actually lost so I've been avoiding altogether. I did alright today but I reached my ceiling pretty quick on the second one, spilling some lactate, so I did the best I could to maintain the gap Lucho put on me each time. I'd say I was hitting high 6s/low 7s on each one with about a 6.5% grade. Once at the top we came down the single track which turns out to be 1/2 the distance back down. Good times - thanks fellas!

On another note, Ironman Kona is going on today. Been tracking the Tim's (DeBoom and Hola) all day. Both lost some places on the bike but seem to holding it together and even picking people off through the run. Found the picture below on the PI twitter page. Thought it was pretty cool to see Darcy up on a poster in the PI booth.

Deboom signing autographs at PI booth in Kona while Darcy looks over his shoulder

UPDATE: Deboom finished 32nd - 8.49:26 Hola finsihed 59th - 9.06:03. Solid all the way around!

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Nice to meet you Scott. You looked to me like you were doing a great job staying close to Tim. That was a fun morning.

Nick said...

I noticed that Darcy pic too. Pretty sure it's from Fruita this year.

footfeathers said...

9:06 gets you 59th place!!?? sheeze

Lucho said...

Ya Aaron, as I said in my post... I busted my ass and never really dropped Scott. Scary to think when he gets his wheels back!

Tim- Scary fast times this year. The winds were calm I think. The ground temps on the run were measured at 120 degrees and the top girl ran 2:53. And that course is quite accurately measured and quite hilly to boot. My second year there I went 9:10 and placed 44th. My 3rd time I went 8:50 and placed 16th. The winds that year averaged around 30 mile per hour with gusts around 50 and the ground temps were 135 degrees. Just amazing athletes.

Lucho said...

And Hola was only 5"... FIVE SECONDS!!! out of top 3 in his age-group!

trudginalong said...

Horton emailed me asking why he should let me run Hellgate and I dropped your name in along with my running "resume" if you can call it that. Hope you don't mind. Enjoyed the run on Saturday, but man my legs were cement yesterday.