Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Where's Waldo - 10.52 11th place

Rather than a full detailed report I decided to jot down a few random thoughts and let you have fun putting them together. Post a comment if something doesn't make sense.

Oregon is green and beautiful - Everyone in Eugene loves the ducks and has a beard (I mean everyone!) - It's pronounced Wil-LAM-ette and not Willamette - If you feel like junk going into the race, you will probably feel like junk during the race - ExLax takes 12 hours to work - Linda Barton did not need the early start, she did just fine - I have a lot of strength and no endurance right now - my expectations were under 10 - S Caps don't work for me - Where's Waldo is one of the best races I've run (course, course marking, volunteers, and beauty) - Mark Lantz, Erik Skaden, Jace Ives, Victor Ballesteros, Craig Thronley, Grae Van Hoosier, Ashley and Josh Nordell, Linda Barton, Lewis Taylor, Dan Olmstead (and wife), Tim Olsen (and girlfriend?), all cool people! - Tim Olsen stole a Patagonia backpack and sweater from me - Did I mention ExLax takes 12 hours to work? - My wife is really cool for letting me spend money and not bring any home - Tim Olsen and Dan Olmstead ran stellar races - I am in some sort of funk right now - AJW's voice prevented me from DNFing at mile 20.5 - The Angel/Devil thing at The Twins A.S. was really cool and well thought out - I didn't have as much fun as I wanted to - Maiden peak is not that big of a climb (after Hard Rock) - I drank 5 cokes post race - I need to sort some things out as far as running goes - The Bear 100 is in jeopardy....

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the way it works sometimes. Great job even none the less!
BFish

Christian said...

Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.
Don't make long term decisions following an Ultra.
The Bear is calling.
Take a week and reconsider.
The fall colors propel you forward.

Anonymous said...

Well at least you finished the race and got to see all that beautiful country. Hope you will be feeling better soon. :Q)

Unknown said...

Yeah I know not to make decisions right after a race. All just random thoughts going through my head at the airport. I don't want to come across snobby but I expect more and lately this -just wanting the race to be done- has been the theme.

I am growing a beard.

brownie said...

Quit whining. How am I supposed to kick your ass if you don't show up to the Bear?

Did you get BFish's message from Pb?

Unknown said...

Whining? Is that how it came off? Sorry bout that... It's just what was on my mind while sipping some cold beverages in the airport. Fish's message was jumbled...

nice job JT at Leadville. You wanna be part of NoCRUD? It's pretty cool over here?

Breeves2000 said...

You don't sound snobby. Just driven. You have the talent to do better so now just take your head out of it. Good job by showing the REAL ultrarunner tenacity and not DNFing. I already had much respect for you and that just keeps building. Race reports are good, but I like the random thoughts too. Hope we can chat soon.

Nick said...

Scott - grow the beard and rock The Bear. You can't win 'em all, but you also can't let Brownie get away with comments like that. Get your ass out there and let it rip!

Darren said...

The beard is a must...it will change everything!

You had the voice of AJW in your head, eh? I had the words of your son from HR pushing me through my last race! My knee still hasn't recovered :-) Oddly, I'm still proud of what has been my worst race yet!

Leave the watch at home and go enjoy some mountain runs.

Darren

GZ said...

Grow the beard because Nick's is coming off this fall.

aj said...

I love everyone's comments...they know you Scott..listen..you could grow a beard in a week...Nicole will hate it but...you can shave it after the BEAR....

Unknown said...

So the thought process goes from never wanted to run another ultra to being at the computer the next day looking at splits for the up coming race - short term memory I guess.

The over riding message is that the pain/funk is temporary, memories are forever - Oregon is beautiful!

Brian said...

Don't you love how our brains work! If we really remembered all the pain and struggles everyone would only do 1 or 2 ultras then give it up.
BFish

AJW said...

Great comments! Maybe the Bear will be cathartic for us all!

Unknown said...

If I don't have catharsis before then of September I will explode...

Matt Hart said...

i agree w/nick. grow a beard, rock the bear.

although i just shaved my beard and my glute injury is fading.. something to think about.