Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bair Gutsman - 1.51:21 2nd place

This race was definitely a spur of the moment decision. In fact, we didn't tell anyone we were coming. Believe it or not the Bair Gutsman was not only my first trail race but my first race ever 30 YEARS AGO! I know, hard to believe but I did the Bair Gutsman in 1980 when I was 10 years old and then again a year later. So we drove the 8 hours on Friday morning, ran the race Saturday morning, then drove back yesterday. Whirl wind trip but fun to see family and friends.
Shane Martin and I post race

Here's how the race shook out:

About 250 people lined up at the church on mountain road in Fruit Heights. It's about a mile and 1/2 on the road (uphill) before the single track started. This allows for runners to spread out and avoid congestion, for the most part. Right from the start I knew I would be battling with a bunch of local high school runners to get to the trail first... As much as I tried to get out in front we went through the first mile in 6:20 (uphill) and I was forced to get behind 12 of them at the start of the very narrow single track.

Even before the race started I knew I would have to beat all of them up the 4700 ft climb by at least a minute in order to have any chance of winning. Because once you hit the top, it's another 6 mile decent on smooth dirt road (high school runners have more leg speed than a 40 y.o.) to the finish.

Sure enough about 20 minutes into the climb, the guys in front started to walk/hike which made it real slow 12 places back. So I took advantage of two small stream crossings; as they tried to tip toe across, I plowed through the water, leap frogging all them but one. 35 minutes into the climb I was all alone with one other guy, Jared Ward. Turns out, Jared Ward runs track for BYU in the 5 and 10,000 meters and has cranked out a sub 30 10K. I didn't know it at the time but I could not get rid of him on the steepest of climbs. I was running everything and as soon as I gapped him, he would sprint back up to me in no time at all. By the top (4690 elevation gain - 6 myles), I had 15 seconds on him and at least 2 minutes on the eventual 3rd place guy. I hit the top in 1.17:03.

Now for the hard part, just letting the legs spin as fast as they can. This part of the race shares the same road (Francis Peak) as the Wasatch 100 all the way down to the green shed. It drops ~2000 ft in 6 myles, so not too steep. Even though I had been doing speed work I knew I needed more than 15 seconds to beat a college or high school aged kid. Sure enough Jared passed me just after the first mile on the decent. I gave everything I had to stay with him but my legs would not carry me any faster. My time for the final 6 myles was 34:18 (5:43 pace) and Jared still beat me by 50 seconds, 1.50:27. Both of us, however, crushed the previous CR by 9 minutes. ....or maybe not. Results are hard to come by online so this CR was just word of mouth.

Top 10 - look at all this youth! Good to see on the trail.

This link will give you a birds eye view of the course. However, the end was different in the actual race, as this link shows 13.13 myles, probably more between 11 and 12. Results here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott, Great race and time on a classic Utah course course! You might want to check with Karl Meltzer on the course record thing. If I havn't lost my memory to old age, lack of oxygen and a few too many brain cell killing beverages, I'm pretty sure that he ran a 1hr 45? minute time to beat me by a minute for the win back in 92 or 93? Before that I held the course record and I think it was in the 1hr 48 range. I tried to find the records but I think they passed away with RB-R.
Curt Anderson

Unknown said...

Hey Curt - thanks for the message. It is so hard to find any times posted anywhere as you said. Having said that, the course has changed many times over the years, meaning start location. If memory serves me correctly, we started at the old cannery back in the day and was told by several others that was the start for many years. So the CR record thing is a bit ambiguous but I was told that 1.50:27 was the CR for the NEW course (and new organizers) they have been running for the last couple of years. The new start is down at the church where Mtn road and Hwy 89 intersect, about 1.5 miles from the cannery. When you ran the race where did you start?

Anonymous said...

Scott, All the races I did were started at the church. I could be wrong on the times but as best as I can recall they were in the 1:40's. I wish I could could even come within 30 minutes of that now. Regardless, you ran a great race and really proves your versatility and ability. Not many people can run hardrock and then run that kind of time on a short fast race only 4 weeks later. Way to put the hammer down on the new up and commers. Hopefully you inspired a couple of them to continue trail running.
Curt

Unknown said...

Thanks Curt. Good hearing from you.

Jim P. said...

Looking at that pic reminds me of the ol' Sesame Street song that went a little something like this..."Which one is not like the other?...."

Congrats on a hard-earned second place finish!

Christian said...

Way to go Scott!
I thought about doing it on Monday, but I figured I would probably hurt myself in the process and compromise bigger plans. Back in the day I really wanted to do this race, I was denied but I've never forgot. Sounds like I'll need some speedwork to contend with the tenderfeet.

Unknown said...

Hey Jim - exactly! Not only am I the elder but Mexican to boot.

Anonymous said...

It was fun to see you at the Bair and chat a bit. You are a fantastic runner!! What an amazing time! Your climbing abilities are something else and I can't belive you didn't win it with that time. I will be running Wasatch and then working the last Aid station (Ranger Dip)at the Bear 100. I noticed your running the Bear. If you need anything personal/special at the aid station let me know and I can have it there for you. Again way to shine as a runner...you are an inspiration!

Shane Martin

Team vermin said...

Aug 3' 1986 Tom borschel ran 1:43:24 from church for 5min win, 1:10:15 to ridge. A week after 29:52 at dez news 10k.

1982 T. borschel 1:47:42, will terzaghi 1:48:44, Norberto segura 1:54:30, Steve naylor 1:54:46, Dave carrier 1:55:19 from fruit stand old course

Borschel Was 8th out of 185 in 1979 from fruit stand near base in 1:51:46, 1:17:49 to top getting off course several times..... Behind Howard ingle and Ron nehring who sucked him into the race!

Camdog said...

Hi Scott - I'm running the Bairgutsman next week and came across this report in my pre-race recon. If you get this message and have a moment, I eould be very grateful for any wisdom you may be able to dispense fir a runner looking to break 2 hours.

Unknown said...

CamDog - Almost forgot I ran this race...

I would try to get to the front while you are on the road leading to the single track up Bair Canyon. The reason is that it's very hard to pass once on the single track. You will be able to run the lower parts of the trail up to the first river crossing and then it gets pretty steep. You will have to hike for about a mile to 1.5 myles. Don't worry though because everyone is. I passed Jared on the hiking section and put 2 minutes on him. You will come out of the trees and the radar towers will be in sight, about 1 mile to the top. Try to run as much as you can once clearing the trees but it's still ok to mix hiking with the running. Once you hit the road then you have to run. Legs will be mush at first but will losen up once you get past the towers.

Hopefully that is enough insight to get you under 2 hrs.

Camdog said...

Thanks Scott - quick reply! Striders told me today it is now an up & back down meaning no road run up top. That should make the single track descent into oncoming traffic pretty interesting. Thanks again for the reply & congratulations on your Hardrock!

Cameron

Camdog said...

Scott - I won the race! As Striders said, it was an out & back (up & down?) measuring shorter but taking longer. I didn't break 2 hrs, I was 2:08 but I ran it just like you suggested and it must have been good enough. Had to share and say thanks again for imparting your experience & wisdom.
Cameron