Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

7 myles - track

Rock Canyon track - 7:00 AM
70s, clear, dry
mind/body - good
hard effort

Not quite Yasso 800s but good enough for me. 2 mile warm up and cool down, 6 x 800 m: 2:44 :43 :43 :42 :43 :42. My goal was 2:45s so I'm happy with the result. Last time I did this workout in February my average was 2:35 so I've slipped a little but I'm getting back there. In between one of my sets, a couple girls were walking around, probably 13 or 14 years old. I overheard one of the girls (heavy set) say to the other "Yeah I'm gonna try to get in shape to make the cross country team and if I make it then my Mom is gonna stop smoking...." Wow. Mom doesn't get it.

7 comments:

GZ said...

I am cheering for the daughter.

I am a bit amazed at the diff between your Feb performance and now, and how you are confident how easily you will dial that back in. How much rest were you taking today?

Looking forward to watching this (in part because it is a bit close to where I am).

Unknown said...

2 minutes over 200 meters in between. That's the thing, I'm not sure I will get back there. I'm hopeful but I am running out of time. You say you're amazed at the difference, what do you mean? Big difference? Or little? With all the hills I've been climbing and the type of racing I've been doing, I'm saying I'm happy with the result with only two speed workouts in. In February I had been working on speed for 3 months. It's evident I retained some but I'm finding my muscles are learning all over again to a certain extent. Either way I think the speed work will help any type of race, it just takes some much damn discipline.

Jon Allen said...

I'm amazed you're still doing speedwork- I'm just running trails. Maybe I need some speedwork so you don't kill me too badly at Bear.

Unknown said...

Jon I'm just holding out hope that Galway is still gonna work out. If not, I'll need that speed to keep pace with a youngin, like yourself, at the bear

GZ said...

I get the difference and the why. I am just impressed with that focus specifically on speed, you are able to carve down the 800s that much - because you have been training along the way anyway (even though it is different training).

I find it inspiring and it gives me a bit of new found hope.

Brad Mitchell said...

Glad to hear others doing speedwork. Here in the Sun Valley area, we do a track workout every thursday evening. This Thursday will be our 19th Thursday. Every runner looking to get faster should be doing this type of workout! Enjoy the oval!

Chuck said...

I'm excited to hear I'm not the only trail runner who does 800m repeats. 8x800 with 90 seconds rest (no jogging). I use it to prime myself up for the 2-mile high school cross country Alumni Run in mid August. It's fun to see how many high schoolers I can beat.