Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, May 8, 2010

20.4 myles - 3.03:13

Deer Creek - 7 AM
50s, clear blue skies, dry
mind/body - good/eh.
easy effort

Met up with Geoff again this morning. This being his first trip to Deer Creek so I was more than happy to show him around the beauty of this course. It couldn't have been more perfect this morning! We did pretty much everything up at Deer Creek to include; Bear, Red Cloud (twice), and Golden Eagle. It's hard to gauge the total elevation gain but I would suspect somewhere in the low 5000 range. We kept the pace very honest all while striking up good conversation all the way from Haggis (it might be good but I can't get over what it's made of) to immigration (me being Mexican and he Canadian).

So far this week I've put in 75 myles with 15,800 elevation gain and feel decent. Having said that, I now realize in order to hit 100 I have to run every day and maybe even a two-a-day once or twice. Next week will be interesting as I venture out to Mt Sanitas on Saturday for 12 hours of laps - yikes! Good solid HR training... that's if I get in! The wait list hasn't budged in over a month. Someone has got to be getting scared by now?!?

11 comments:

Matt said...

Solid work, Scott. Looking forward to seeing the jump in volume. You'll be crushing it come late summer!

Ahh, on a more critical note, you've had those same "beers for the month" up for over a month now. Just a nod from this here beer advocate :-)

Unknown said...

I hope to stay healthy with the bump in mileage. That is the key.

I know, I know. (on the beer) As I type this we are leaving the house to hit the "Yard House" so I will come back with an update. I promise. One beer that I've been meaning to try is "Up Slope". Don't know who brews it but I hope they have it on tap.

Anonymous said...

What time are you starting the Sanitas laps?

Unknown said...

Darcy and I are starting at 5 AM

coloradodonnie said...

Upslope is yummy I'm drinking their IPA as I write this! Would love to get get a couple of hours in with you in Boulder if it's open?

Unknown said...

C'mon over CO-Donnie! The more the merrier.

Matt couldn't find Upslope on tap at Yard House so I resorted to the old standard - Green Flash! Yup. Green Flash West Coast IPA has once again made the list. Yum-Yum! I also had a Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php which was OK and a Dog Fish Head 60 min IPA.

I have revised the title of my top beers since I've been delinquent and because those top beers are damn good!

Matt said...

West Coast and Racer 5? Stellar!

Nothing like Cali ipa.

Climb brutha, climb.

nmp said...

If you don't mind company, I might try to join you for all or part of next weekend. Where are you meeting at 5?

Assuming it is the same thing, Upslope is a relatively new brewery in Boulder. As far as I know they only have an IPA and a pale. It is decent but nothing great in my opinion (Mtn Sun is the brew in boulder I think). I don't think I have seen it on tap anywhere - you can get it in cans at most shops in Boulder though and maybe down your way as well.

Unknown said...

Join in on the fun Nick! I'm parking at Centennial and then starting right at the shelter at the base of Sanitas.

Unknown said...

Hey Scott & co. -

UpSlope is excellent -- comes only in cans, but that doesn't seem to compromise the imbibing experience. Tends to be higher in alcohol content, so drinker beware.

I was going to join you and Darcy, but then decided that I just can't wrap my head around going up and down and up and down Sanitas -- even with such stellar company as the two of you! So I'm constructing my own big loop with lots of climbing; it'll likely taker me up Sanitas at some point, so I'll see y'all at least once.

I probably don't need to ask this (because I think I know your answer), but do you have any concerns about Lake City being just three weeks (actually, 20 days) before Hardrock? It seems you're planning to run it pretty hard; what's your plan for recovering post Lake City?

OK, back to work. Thanks for the continued motivation!

- Garett

Unknown said...

Hey Garett,

Dale's Pale Ale (in my opinion) revitilized the canned beer so I like the fact that Upslope is in a can. The added ETOH only adds to the experience, right?

It's a good question with SJS 50, most people (generally speaking) who have done well at SJS have not faired well at HR. Having said that, I have never done well at SJS and want to finally crack that 10 barrier and will take my chances to being tired at HR. Besides, I'm not "officially" in HR....

See you on Saturday. Ugggh - what have I got myself into???