Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, May 3, 2010

16 myles - 2.15:15

7/2:30 - Lone Tree/Green in Boulder
60s, partly cloudy, dry
mind/body - good
easy effort

Two runs today, not planned, but I couldn't help it being up in Boulder for work. I ran my home course (9 myles) this morning at 7 AM with a 6:57 pace, then again at 2 PM up Green Mountain in Boulder. I've been reading about this guy incessantly going up Green Mtn. over the past 4 months so I had to check it out for myself (tried before with Josh and Nick but too much bullet proof ice). I didn't know his exact route so I made my own; Chautauqua TH, Amphitheatre, Saddle Rock, Greenman - 38:27 to the top. Got home and checked out his blog to find out what route he has been for the past 132 times; Gregory Canyon, Ranger, Greenman - something like that. I came down Ranger/Gregory and liked it much better. I'm guessing about 2800 feet of climbing and route trip of about 7 myles.

10 comments:

Brandon Fuller said...

He and the rest of us do it both ways on Green. Amp/Greenman is shorter and steeper.

Unknown said...

Where is the common place to start time?

Brandon Fuller said...

Gregory Trailhead. Small parking lot there for 4-5 cars with an outhouse. One trail goes off to Amp, the other to Gregory.

The green arrow on this zoomable map shows the exact spot.
http://brandon.fuller.name/archives/2010/05/01/09.00.25/

GZ said...

Scott - as I am an out of Boulder County guy, I never start at Gregory. I also start at Chautauqua. Typically, that run up to Amp via Chaut is 3-6 minutes (if I recall correctly it is about .45 "myles"). The FKT on the route you took is "thought" to be sub 30 from the Amp trail. Sub 40 is moving nicely in my book. Was that route free of snow?

Unknown said...

I took a split at Gregory from Chatauqua yesterday; 5:37.

No not snow free, once up on Greenman where the rocky traverse starts there are a few solid snow fields. The nice thing is that Tony has made some nice footsteps in there.

Geezus sub 30 from Chatauqua? Lemme guess, either Gates or Mack daddy?

GZ said...

No - from Gregory lot / bridge via the Amp trail. Gates.

http://georgezack.blogspot.com/2009/05/thursday-052809.html

Nick said...

Scott - Hope you plan to be on Green next Friday.

Jeff Valliere said...

Rumor has it that (Roger Briggs I think) ran from Chautauqua to the top of Green in under 30 heading up the 3rd Flatiron access trail and then bushwhacking above that to the Greenman Trail some years ago. I have explored that "route" several times and doubt it could be duplicated, as it is very overgrown with LOTS of deadfall to negotiate. A 32:50 split is a stout time for your first stab. You should visit for the run we are doing on that route on the 14th.

Unknown said...

JV - I voted for Thursday the 13th cause that was the only evening I had open. Going up to Boulder on Friday is gonna take all my special selling skills to make it.

Nick said...

C'mon Scott, that's what you do for a living. Easy sell, surely. Make it up on Mother's Day ;)