Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

14 myles - 2.03:54

Mt. Falcon v1.0 - nooner
50s, blue bird day, some snow
mind/body - mostly good
Hard effort

NOW I can say HR training has officially started. "Officially" cause I made my first appearance at Falcon today. I really had no expectations to go under 2 hours because a) I'm coming off a cold and b) there are still snow drifts on the North sides of the trail. Although I will tell you I was pleasantly surprised after I compared splits from last year, I was within a minute and 1/2 from last year's times at the end of Parmalee before the snow started. I think I may go back to Falcon on Saturday for good measure. Here are my splits for those who know Falcon:

End Turkey Trot up - 17:40
Shelter - 29:51
Start Parmalee - 51:01
End Parmalee - 1.09:58
End Old Ute - 1.36:02
Start Turkey Trot down - 1.50:18
Bench - 2.03:54 (last year's fastest times 1.58:55, 1.58:01)

If you're looking to get to Falcon and try a proper full loop v1.0 here is my course: Up Turkey Trot, take a right onto Castle Trail to the shelter, take a right at the shelter out/back Walkers Dream, bypass the shelter and out/back Two Dog, take Castle trail to the top, take a left to start Parmalee, at the end of Parmalee take a left on Tower Trail to the top of Mt Falcon, down the other side on Meadow trail, loop Old Ute and Devil's Elbow, when you pop out you will cut across the Meadow trail to hook back up with the Castle trail where you will take a right to go down, no Two Dog or Walkers Dream on the way down, just straight down Castle trail, left on Turkey Trot, finish at the bench. Got that!?!?


Don't know what that line is jetting out at the start/finish??

Here's a fuzzy picture as well

5 comments:

WMRC said...

Hi Scott. If you going to be in Phoenix the Wednesday before Zane Grey you still have an open invite to go on a run with our group in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve. We have a bunch running Zane so it will be a slow deal.

Unknown said...

I'm staying at the W in Scottsdale so that close? And what time? If I could somehow swing it to be back by 7 AM for an 8 AM meeting I would do it.

WMRC said...

Your in! I think you will really enjoy the area. We meet at 5:15 AM and the W hotel is only a 10-15 min drive to where we take off. Send me a note and I will forward specific directions ultrahigg@yahoo.com

azspeedgoat said...

Yes Scott, come join us. We start at 5:15ish, usually go about 1:10 and you will easily be back at the W by 7:00-7:15. Fairly slow pace with many ZG runners. No lights or sleeves needed for Phx running. Hopefully see you there. I think we actually met at HR a couple years back.

trudginalong said...

Scott, yeah, uh that's pretty damn good for "just showing up" at Falcon. One day I'll hit that split, but I'd have to figure out a way to get the EPO booster out of my body before I got tested...