Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

12.2 myles - 1.26:45

Grigs/Lone Tree - 4:30 P.M.
60s, clear, dry
mind/body - good
easy effort

Actually two runs today: 6 myles this morning in 43:21 and 6.2 myles this afternoon in 43:24. I didn't run either Sunday or Monday so I made up for it today and my legs feel great! I say it's time to step up the training volume. I've been hovering around 60 myles/week and quite frankly that's not gonna cut it come HR time. Having said that, my high mileage weeks have only been around 80 myles in years past but I think I need to change it up a bit. I see a bunch of guys doing 100 mile weeks and consistently turn in great results, what would happen if I turned up the notch on the volume? I think I'm gonna give it a go, not every week, but maybe every 4th week hit 100 and see how I feel.

5 comments:

Jon Allen said...

As long as you don't get injured, the higher mileage should be better. But you are wise to only bump up that high every once in a while. 100 is challenging at first, but going back up to it isn't near as bad, in my experience.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you'll feel tired!
BFish

AJW said...

Nice bounce back, brother! I've done 4 flat miles the last couple days and the legs are still a little squishy. I will be doing 70 on The Course on Friday and Saturday so I need to taper.

I like to throw in a 100-110 mile week every third week just to feel the fatigue but 85-90 seems to be where I find homeostasis.

See you at Poky!

Unknown said...

no doubt I'll feel tired but I just wanna see what would happen. What if? You know. I've did 100 mile weeks 7 years ago but they were few and far between.

Have fun on the course Andy!

Jon Allen said...

My marathon PR improved 5 minutes once I got above 100 miles (4 times in 7 weeks pre-race, I think). Hope it helps you. Not too much, though, or you'll leave me even farther in your dust at the Bear.