Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Friday, April 16, 2010

13 myles - 1.47:47

Deer Creek - noon
50s, mostly dry, some snow
mind/body - good and steady
easy effort

Another good outing with rocky trails and elevation. I hate to say how much elevation because it all seems to vary depending upon the device used. For instance, when I mapped out Mt Falcon on "Map My Run" it gave total ascent 2093 ft for an entire loop. I've always thought it was closer to 3500 ft. Anyone know for sure? The map for Deer Creek has 3420 ft elevation gain for the loop, which seems about right. But I highly doubt Deer Creek has more than Mt Falcon.

So for what it's worth, all training runs this week had some climbing in it and I feel so much better with the gombu gone. NOW I'm starting to get excited about Zane Grey!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm running it this Sunday and will bring my altimeter to compare.

scott said...

Hey Scott...my Garmin305 has from the parking lot up to the ruins at 1,563ft gain. From the parking lot up to the highest shelter is 1,922. But that is GPS so not as accurate as barometric pressure.

Christian said...

While I can't tell you how much vert Mt. Falcon or Deer Creek has I can tell you that the most accurate method for measuring vertical gain is a barometric altimeter (as long as the weather pattern holds steady). GPS is pretty inaccurate and all the programs like mapmyrun and the garmin site lay the track over a DEM (digital elevation model) to come up with a total. Because the DEM isn't entirely accurate the programs run a smoothing algorithm on the data to come up with a more realistic number. Trouble is the smoothing doesn't work so well off-road.
Your friendly neighborhood map geek,
Christian

Unknown said...

Whew! Christian thanks! I don't know what you just said but I have a feeling you're saying there is more than 2K of climbing at Mt. Falcon.

Scott - those numbers seem pretty accurate in my book and doesn't jive with Map My Run. When adding to your numbers; two dog, walkers, parmalee, meadows, ute, and elbow you end up with more of a 3500 number

Get after it TL - make those lungs burn!

trudginalong said...

Scott, I think you're right, the trail profile from the Jeffco site has the cumulative gain of everything right there at 3400+ ft...