Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

11 myles - 1.18:06

HR urban trails
67 degrees! mostly dry, clear
mind/body - eager/good
easy effort

Gotta admit - I was a little nervous to run today for the simple fact that I wanted a healthy calf. I specifically took yesterday off to let the calf recover from 3 straight days of light running. I think it worked because I did not feel it today. Nice easy pace (7:06 avg) on a very beautiful day!

I've been reviewing the Buffalo 50 course map on Google earth and it appears that all of the climbing is done after mile 16 - is that correct? Does anyone know what the total climbing is? My guess is that the vertical and terrain are very similar to the American River 50. If that's the case then posting a time around 6.30 on a good day is feasible.

8 comments:

nmp said...

Most of the climbing is done by mile 16 or so as you say. There is one last climb around mile 45 though that caught me by surprise last year.

My garmin gave ~3000 feet of climbing. I have the profile if you are interested.

Jon Allen said...

Yes, most of the climbing is done in the first 16 miles. Then downhill through 19, then just small rollers the rest of the way. I would guess ~1000 (?) feet total climbing after mile 16, though it could be higher- no big hills, but continual rollers. It might be sandy/rutted, too.

Unknown said...

hey nick,

I'd love to see it - send it to esjaime44@gmail.com Thanks!

Local Mind Media said...

Nick left us early and no one ever saw him again, so it'd be nice to see proof that he ran the whole race. He jumped up on the picnic table to receive his award like he just jogged 3 miles. Of course he is 20 years younger...

Nick said...

Ryan B. is coming out for sure (as of last weekend), so you'll have some good competition (in addition to whomever is already registered) to help push out that 6:30 you talk of.

Unknown said...

good to hear Ryan will be there. Now to get the calf on the mend again... I seem to have aggravated it yesterday. I guess nice and easy for the week.

Nick said...

Man, it's like the year of the gimpy calf or something. I think this here Colorado running blogosphere has some contagion going on.

Rest up and see you out there.

Unknown said...

you, then GZ, now me. It started bothering me when I went for a run in your neck of the woods on the foothills trail. contagious man. It'll be good by next week. I remember you spent a good week on the mend and then got right back at it with a hundred mile week. This one's in the belly of the calf so good blood supply will turn it around quick