Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, March 15, 2010

10 myles - 1.11:07

Daniels Park - 4:00 P.M.
upper 40s, sloppy, clear
mind/body - good
easy effort

7:06 average today with not much effort at all. Again, like yesterday I didn't feel the calf until I started to think about it so it should be fine moving forward.

I conducted a small experiment today (n=1). An experiment I tried back in 2006 prior to Leadville... Can I survive all day on gels alone? I mean, we do it for the most part in 50 and 100 mile races, why is it so hard during a normal day? This is not scientific by any means but here is what I did: woke up and had my normal pot of coffee (maybe that's cheating already but I do it on race day), a couple gulps of EFS liquid shot every 15 to 30 minutes up through 3 P.M., went running, resumed EFS liquid shot through 7:30 P.M. And then I broke down and had a bowl of pasta...

Here is what I found: My energy was constant but low, ketone bodies were starting to build (could tell by the bad taste in my mouth), the run was normal with good energy, but eventually I broke down because I kept walking into the kitchen.... I guess you can say the carbohydrate craving took over my hypothalamus. I know my liver glycogen was running low because my thinking and cognitive thought was slow. So how do we survive 50 and 100 mile races on the little amounts of real food we eat? Does Adrenaline help metabolize fat? I don't know. Care to postulate?

Alright gotta go eat something but in the meantime I'm gonna read more of Noakes book and try this again with a different supplement.

Another reminder of Spring
Post a Comment