Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Friday, January 23, 2009

22 myles - 2.35:38

Chatfield/Highline - noon
20s, South wind, partly muddy trail
mind/body - strong/hammy tight
Hard effort

Prescribed workout: 3 hours total: 45 minutes @ 6:15 pace; hour and 1/2 easy pace; finish with 45 minutes @ 6:15 pace

Actual workout: 22 myles 2.35:38 avg. 7:04: 45 minutes (7 myles) @ 6:25 pace; 15 minutes (2 myles) @ 7:30 pace; 40 minutes (6 myles) @ 6:25 pace; cool down 55:20 (7 myles) @ 7:54 pace.

Did you get all that? I basically did a modified workout of what was prescribed since the hammy isn't 100%. First, I was running on a sandy/muddy trail so the 6:25 initially was about a 6:15 effort on the road. I'll admit the hammy was starting to get tight so I was happy to slow down. Rather than waiting to do the the second 45 minutes at the end I decided to only give myself 15 minutes because I didn't think the hammy would hold up for speed work in the end. I came around the 15 mile loop in 1.40 for an average of 6:40 so I'm happy with that. I ended with a 7 mile modified loop trying to hit an 8 min. pace - pretty close with 7:54.

This was a very important workout for me because in my mind this run was a go/no run for RR. So I'm happy to report RR is a go! The cool down is what clinched it for me because I didn't feel it at all at the slower pace. Although, I don't think my hammy can handle much more speed work before RR. Tomorrow I'll go out for another 2 and 1/2 hour slower run to close the week out. I feel very good (despite the hammy) going into RR.

1 comment:

Justin Ricks said...

I wouldn't be too worried about missing the last couple of workouts. You have put together a couple of months of solid training, including speedwork(haha). That 45 mile run was impressive and you haven't lost the work you have put in. Just get to the line healthy and who knows maybe you will run better because you are more rested. Good luck and talk to you soon.