Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, January 31, 2009

12 myles - 1.36:27

HR urban trails - 11:00 A.M.
nice day, upper 50s, clear
mind/body - good/hammy is fickle
easy effort

Prescribed workout: 1.45 - 2.00 hrs easy effort race pace

Actual workout: 12 myles 1.36:27 avg. 8:02 - exact splits out and back - how's that for pacing?

Weeelll.... this hammy is really startin' to put a damper on my spirits! Just when I think it's good - BAM! I wake up in the morning after a run and it hurts! I feel I kept the quality of my runs up this week and felt good doing it but after the 1/2 interval workout on Wednesday as I woke the next morning it was sore all the way up to my butt - which forced me to take two days off. The strange thing is that I don't necessarily feel it during or after the run it's the next morning that gives me the indication I've done too much. I know from past experience hammy's are fickle and once you've over done it - that's it! - there's no going back. The last two days off I went to PT and really worked the hammy with ultrasound, infrared, and the tens unit - did I work it too much?

I felt the hammy the entire run today but it's not a sharp pain, it's more of a dull pain radiating all the way up to my butt. The hammy can handle the slow stuff but the question is - for how long? I've got a week before RR so I believe rest in the prescription for next week. In reality, I've only taken off 2 x 2 days since it first started hurting so I can only imagine with 4 days off straight will help out tremendously.

I'm off to Orlando Monday....

6 comments:

Justin Ricks said...

My suggestion would be to soak in epsom salt and then stretch it hard. After that I would ice the hamstring for at least 20 minutes. I usually use a ace bandage to make sure that the ice packs are compressed tight. Then I would put a heating pad on it and repeat the process a couple of times. This has always worked for me, it can be time consuming but it usually works, good luck.

Jamie Donaldson said...

Scott,
I have gone into a lot of races with things hurting badly, but then that adrenaline kicks in and I totally forget about the pain. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it went away! I think after a taper week, the hammy will be ready to ROCK at Rocky! Don't blow by me too fast :)!

Anonymous said...

Hey I ran 50 on a bad hammy... what's another 50 right? It will make you go out easy.
Good luck with the HR lottery tomorrow!
BFish

Unknown said...

Hey all,

Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes!

Justin - I have purchased some epsom salt and will add it to my ice pack and stretching routine.

Jamie - I too have run major races with ailing injuries and can only hope the endorphins take over or I will cut it OFF! I'll see you soon!

BFish - I remember White River and that is my inspiration.

Anonymous said...

The rest this week will help the most. Rub it out and warm it up before the start. You're going to do great. Don't hurt Andy's feelings too badly. :-)

Geoff said...

Rock it at the Raccoon next week! Whoever said you should nurse injuries never met an ultrarunner. Stay healthy and HR is yours this year, congrats on your lottery!