Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, November 3, 2008

9 myles - 1.03:17

Chatfield Res. - 3:00 p.m.
Gorgeous, just gorgeous (Boston accent)
mind/body - eh, iffy
medium effort

It's been nearly a year since I've been out on this loop so I stopped by on my way home. For all you runners that work outta your car - always have a bag of running stuff. Or if you sleep in your car then having a bag of running stuff probably isn't a problem.

The days here in Colorado just don't get any better than this! We have been fortunate to have many days strung together that is nearly perfect for anything outside. I felt fast around the flat 9+ mile loop and felt like I could have gone another. An average of 6:55/mile.

As a side note, my Achilles has been acting up again and I'm not sure what to do about it. I wake up in the morning and can barely walk then it loosens up throughout the day. As I begin my runs I have a noticeable limp but feel great about 1/2 hour into my run. No swelling or bulges, just very tender. I may be forced to take more time off and go back to PT to get ready for 2009. I looked back at my running log from last year when I had the same problem, I ended up taking 6 weeks off in a row. This year as my Achilles became sore in September I only took 3 weeks off. Was it enough rest? Before I get too far along I want to make sure it's gonna last the entire year. I'll keep you informed about my aging body...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that it would be a good idea to take some more time off from running!! Go back to swimming it is good for you, but what do I know. I just want to see you have another good year like last year.

Grae Van Hooser said...

Been there. I also suffer AT in my right heel periodically. Usually in the fall when the temperatures get colder. I run in the very early A.M. I immediately roll on Capzasin(it has chilly peppers in it- hot stuff!)then put on a sock to warm up the area prior to the run. After my run I ice for 20 minutes. Sometimes when I get to work. I also try to ice at lunch and in the evening. The one treatment I get from my chiropractor that never fails is ultrasound. Works every time! Always within the week. I get it every other day if needed. Hope this helps. Oh, and I don't stop running and I do not do any calf stretches if the AT is inflamed.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the feedback Grae! Last year I went to PT for the primary purpose of ultrasound - it did help. I will look into the capzasin - anything to get me moving the morning.

If anyone else has some pointers or treatment regimens in regards to Achilles Tendonosis I would love to hear them.