Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, June 7, 2008

18 myles - 2.55:47

Pikes Peak - 6:00 a.m.
clear, high 70s, dry
mind/body - very strong
HR max/avg - 170/147

Two days straight I have felt amazing! I considered yesterday a speed day so I thought I'd take it easy up Pikes today.... Is it possible to take it easy up Pikes? Well I started and tried to take it as easy as possible feeling as good as I did. Rather than go all the way up to the top I went to Barr camp, came down, then went one time up the Incline. The Incline is exposed in the morning sun so I thought I could get some elevation while feeling the 80 degree heat. Here are my splits:

Barr Camp
  • top of the W's - 21:57
  • No name - 36:22
  • Barr camp - 1.11:02
  • down - 50.51
  • Total - 2.01:55
Incline
  • top - 30:18
  • down - 23:22
  • Total - 53:40
Not blazing by any means but what I'm most happy about is that I kept my breathing in check going up to Barr camp, not once did I red-line it! In fact, my avg HR going up to Barr was 158. If I'm reading my HR monitor right (still learning), that tells me I could have gone quite a bit faster. With Desert RATS coming up in a week I didn't want to take any chances and just go out to get some time on my feet. I feel ready! I feel strong! ....just don't bring the heat!

No comments: