Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

12 myles - 1.24:15

Daniels Park - 2:00 p.m.
intermittent rain, breezy, 70s
mind/body - lethargic
HR max/avg - 172/152

I can tell I'm starting to wear down because I'm really fighting with myself to get out the door. Once out the door I just wanna get it over with. Usually I'm racing every 4 weeks which allows some time for taper but the gap between races this time was 6 weeks - I just wanna race right now! My first/last splits were: 6:47/6:32 and during those splits my heart rate was below 150. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, anybody know? I'm just a novice with this HR monitor so I don't know where I'm supposed to be. For instance, today I went up Sanctuary hill with max effort and couldn't bring my heart rate above 172 - I'm breathing hard, my legs are heavy, and I know I'm approaching lactate threshold.... maybe my HR monitor needs to be adjusted??

Still no real intense heat training. I've been riding around in my car with the air off and windows rolled up sweatin' right through my dress shirt. I guess the only other thing I can do at this point is go to the sauna and bake for a good hour or so. On the other hand, maybe the weather in Moab will be mild enough I won't have to worry about the heat.

One last thing, I finally received my racing kit and goodies from Pearl Izumi today! Everything looks good! I wanna thank Aric for organizing this deal because without him this thing never would have taken off - Thank you Mr. Manners! I'll post pictures on my week review so you all can get a sneak peak of what the Pearl Izumi-Smith ultra team will be wearing this year.

2 comments:

Christian said...

Scott,
Not being able to get your HR up is a sure sign of overtraining. I raced with a HR monitor for 8 years on the bike and I was the king of overtraining. Other signs include irritability, eating like there's no tomorrow, diarrhea, forcing yourself out the door, and inability to focus. Another thing that is a good sign is an elevated resting HR. This only helps when you've been keeping track though. I would recommend picking up any of Joe Friel's books if you want some guidelines for training with a HR monitor.
Take care.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice Christian. My resting HR right now is between 48-50, pretty normal for me. I do agree about overtraining. I've been at my limits for 5 weeks now so it's time to back off.