Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

6 myles - 42:22

Grigs - 4:00 P.M.
mid 30s, little snow, overcast
mind/body - recovered
easy effort

Nice and easy (7:03 pace) to shake out the legs after two days of doing nothing and no residual soreness. Been reflecting on the marathon a lot these past couple of days and I've come to conclusion that I gave my best effort BUT there is room for improvement. I think I'm a little haunted by the fact that I nearly cracked the 6:00 barrier (thanks Nick). I may have to go back and see if I can nail those last two myles... OR I may just shoot for something in that range for Caumsett 50K.

Am I becoming a roadie?? Nah. I love the trails and mountains too much. I do, however, have a tremendous amount of respect for those guys who pound the pavement fast all year. Guess I'm just not that disciplined. I am still blown away by those guys who crank out 2.15s and below - just amazing!

Last, here is a picture of Dean Karnazes and I. Some of the people in the CRUD group call me Latino Deano. I dunno, do you think we look alike? When I spoke to him, he actually knew who I was so I thought that was kinda cool. I told him that 4-desert thing he did last year was a cake walk compared to Hardrock - he said HR was on his list... I really didn't say that but HR is on his list.

My stunt double

7 comments:

SeanEl said...

There is a similarity in the chin...

Stuart Swineford said...

I love how the admiration ladder works. Those of us running 3 somethings are amazed by people like you who are throwing down 2:40s. And you guys are blown away by the 2:15 runners who are in awe of the 2:07 crowd. So cool. Wonder who HG is thinking of when he blasts a 2:04?

And you do look a little like DK... mostly in the eyes, I think. Is his melon that massive or is that just a funny angle? I'd never noticed that before.

~stubert.
http://www.runsturun.com

Manners said...

Nice picture. I like that you are giving the "thumbs up" sign....wait. Okay- which one are you?
Of course he knows who you are. I am sure lots of fans run up to him and say- "Scott awesome job on the CT last summer...AWESOME!"

Matt said...

Dean doesn't look real.

I can only imagine that training for a marathon (and running it) can only help with your mountain ambitions.

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

Ya, running 2.15 on pavement is a fast beating on the bones. That is a funny pic!

JC said...

Two things: First of all, as a fellow "Masters" runner(sorry)at the AZ RnR marathon - you stated "no residual soreness" three days after?! That is quite a statement to your abilities, your coaching and you race-specific training. Great job!

Secondly, as I was able to maintain site of you until miles 6 or 7 I have to say you looked very relaxed and almost seemed to be on an easy run. I would bet that you would have no problem going sub 6s for a future road marathon.

The Masters label was tough at first but after 42 I began to accept and embrace it. Especially since I also just PR'd my road marathon. Well done Scott!

Anonymous said...

Deano's head looks liked it was photo shopped on at a little to big of a scale... funny looking photo.
Great job on the marathon! You roadie you.
BFish