Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, January 4, 2010

10 myles - 1.13:02

Daniels Park - 9:00 A.M.
low 20s, North wind, clear
mind/body - groggy/sore throat
easy effort

Prescribed: 1.15 easy effort with strides afterward

Actual: 10 myles - 1.13:02 - avg. 7:18 - easy but harder than it should have been

I barely slept last night with a terrible sore throat. And when I finally did get a few moments of shut eye I was awakened by my wife kicking me.... snoring I guess. I thought the sore throat would pass by now but it seems to get real bad at night - Wassail helps.

So the run this morning was not fun. It seemed a lot colder than 20 degrees and the run just went on forever. I went without my music today as I do in all races. The only time I play music is during my training when I'm all alone and I'm seeing the same old scenery day in and day out. In races I truly enjoy being in the moment and part of that moment is taking in the peacefulness of the wilderness. Somehow I got that feeling this morning on my same old route... very refreshing.

5 comments:

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

It allways sucks when we are trainning and get sick! I just got off 2 weeks of being sick. It made it hard to run in the cold & snow.

scott said...

So what's the new resolution?

Unknown said...

my resolution for the year is always food related usually a food I'm addicted to that isn't healthy. This year it's no meat. I wouldn't say vegetarian, just no meat. Meat seems to not make me feel right during my runs. Last year I probably ate meat 6 times (all on the CT) but I generally don't crave it. It won't be tough and I'm not trying to make a statement to say "I'm vegetarian". Meat just doesn't fit into my diet all that well.

Amberly - sorry but I can't read that. Hope it's not bad...

Harsha said...

Hey Bud, Sorry to hear about your sore throat. Too bad your wife kicks you at night, while you are sick. She needs to go to wife school. Do you know of any other good runners who are vegetarians? How do they get their protein intake? Are you in taper mode? When you taper, do you just cut the mileage, but keep the intensity? Hope you recover well before your race. Take care and good luck.

Aapka Mitr,
Harsha.

Manners said...

What I think Amberly is trying to say is: Run hard and stay healthy.