Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

12 myles - 1.23:32

HR urban trails - 11:00 A.M.
mid 40s, North wind, a little muddy
mind/body - eager/strong
easy effort

Clipping along effortlessly at 6:57 pace. Good sign because I took my run to the trails with some elevation. I had a few 30 seconds of 5K pace but nothing too extensive. I will jump back into the two a week speed workouts next week to start my training for Caumsett 50K. Even if I only get a speed workout in once a week I still think I can maintain my leg speed and crank out a 3.15, we'll see.

On another note, GZ got Ken Pliska and myself in email touch. Remember Ken took the masters title at Phoenix RnR marathon. And just to set the record straight - I was racing Ken, he wasn't racing me. Ken was the third person to pass me in the last mile and I was pissed because I was cooked and couldn't respond to the other two. So unbeknownst to Ken, I started a sprint just off his left shoulder with 100 meters go. When I looked back he did not respond at all, he kept his same comfortable pace - nice and steady all the way through. Sure I was trying to beat Ken but it was more out of frustration that the other two passed me than anything else. At the end of the day, neither one of us knew it would turn out the way it did - for money?!?! That just doesn't happen to a mediocre guy like me. BUT if we both knew it was for money then I would not have been close to Ken, he is a 2.20 marathoner and would have been a good 10 minutes ahead... In the end Ken agreed to buy me a beer with the extra change in his pocket.

5 comments:

GZ said...

That is a pretty damn big beer.

Unknown said...

Oh I'm sorry did I say "one"?? I meant one every day till June.... that should gobble up that slush fund

brownie said...

Once again, a DeWitt coached runner fades down the stretch. You better watch your back with me and Grimes training together now!

Unknown said...

You know what's funny Browneye - my final 10K of the marathon was faster than any of your stand alone 10K times... So you can say I faded in the final two myles only to make you feel better about your time. See you on Saturday

footfeathers said...

ouch.