Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, November 21, 2009

What a week!

A week filled with work, work, work, and eat, eat, eat, followed by some running and then some more eating.

For the last week I've been in the great city of San Francisco, sequestered to the Marriott downtown pretty much all day every day. I did, however, get 2 great runs in and one O.K. treadmill run. The two great runs happened on Monday and Wednesday from my hotel to the Golden Gate bridge following the trolley tracks (Powell, California, Hyde) to the pier and then around the bay. By taking that route through the streets and over nob hill I avoided the mass chaos on the Embarcadero, in which I've gone before dodging tons of people. The second run on Wednesday was at night and it was awesome with the lights of the city reflecting off the bay for ample light and lots of people out enjoying the great weather. Only a total of 27 myles in San Fran. but that's OK.

I got back late last night just in time for the Saturday morning CRUD run in which we ran Rampart Road for a good 14 myles. AND THEN let the madness begin with the second annual CRUD burrito eating world championship. I had high hopes going in as I had distended my stomach all week with food and beer (and besides the fact that I was the only Mexican participant). 7 contestants each bought 3 Chipotle burritos with the required ingredients of beans, rice, cheese, lettuce, and tortilla. Some opted to add guac and pico de gallo but I opted for just the bare minimums. My burritos weighed the least at 2.45 lbs, Tim Alison weighed the most at 3.75 lbs (he added chicken??). Right before we began I was really nervous because Tim Hola was back for revenge after I won the tortilla eating contest last year. On your mark, get set, go! Rich Muzzy was a fast start downing the first burrito in 1:25 - dark horse for sure! Tim Hola in 1:35 and I polished the first off in 1:40. Muzzy was on fire as he downed #2 in just under 3 minutes - holy cow! I'm in trouble (I thought). It was a 3 man race at this point, Rick Hessek was a bust and fell way behind, Paul Dewitt has such a small body he was eating like a bird, Harry and the other Tim were just enjoying their food. On to burrito 3 and Muzzy was clearly going to win but I looked at him and he was shaking violently, he couldn't hold his burrito still to shove it in his mouth, Tim and I caught up and with about a 1/4 of a burrito to go Tim Hola slammed his into his mouth, chewed it up and raised his arms in victory, literally seconds before Muzzy. Tim Hola - North Chapter CRUD 1st place and now world burrito eating champion: 7 minutes and 2 seconds. Rich Muzzy - 2nd in 7:25, and I came limping in for 3rd in 9:20. Good times all around. Check out the pics below

5 of the 7

My burritos with the bare minimums

Tim Hola looking very confident

There's no way!

Burrito 3 - my eyes are up checking on Muzzy

Muzzy closest - only 1/2 burrito to go

Dejected



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fast Eddy,
I must say i'm really disappointed.
You have had a truely great year going with some superb races and then the epic Colorado Trail adventure... I thought you had the heart of a true champion, but to only come in third in the burrito eating contest kind of puts a damper on the whole season. I thought you had what it takes! At least Tim Hola showed up to perform at the expected North CRUD Level.
Back to the training table!!!!
BFish

Paul DeWitt said...

I think you need to take more s-caps next time. And maybe wear a camelback so you don't have to reach for the water bottle!

aj said...

Hey Scott there is always next year...