Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

8 myles - 58:03

Daniels Park - 3:00 P.M.
60s, clear, still not dry
mind/body - good/sore
easy effort

I forgot to mention that I lifted for an hour yesterday after my run which made me sore today. My routine will usually be: weights + core 2 times/wk, tempo run, speed work, two easy days, and one long(er) run. I'll stick with that routine through the end of January when I will concentrate on more myles and less of the weights, maybe only once a week. Weights generally prevent me from getting hurt late in the season with the calf tweaks.

So today I just went out not worrying about time at all, what ever came along I'd accept. Averaged 7:15 with a very easy perceived effort. Saturday I'm going down to Colorado Springs for the long run on Falcon trail and make our way over to the Air Force stadium where ESPN will be there hosting the Army/Air Force game. Look for the CRUD shirts!

You know running is a very selfish, solitary sport. Rarely, if ever, do we get a chance to run for something - meaning a charity or a cause. Some people don't care to and I never have until last week when I was invited to participate in a race held in Brazil. The race is called the Brazil 135, held in conjunction with Badwater 135 and Arrowhead 135. The cause is simple: all proceeds from the race go directly to a mission that will turn around and use the money to build a gymnasium for poverty stricken children. I started reading about the kids and literally got teary eyed and almost felt compelled to help. It made me realize how fortunate I really am.

I am in a position to help, not necessarily through monetary means, but through the gift of running. I hope you will visit this website and consider a donation to help these kids. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to help. On a side note, my name isn't on the list yet because I haven't committed to going yet due to work conflicts but regardless it's a wonderful cause.

7 comments:

Jamie Donaldson said...

The Brazil 135 is a gateway race to Badwater! Does this mean????
Seriously though Mrrio does an amazing job with the Brazil 135. I hope to be able to do that race someday. So are you gonna run it?

Unknown said...

Uh - no!! I can easily say that even in front of my computer (as this is usually the place I make rash decisions). Badwater is beyond me - period. I marvel at you and anyone else who even attempts it.
I hope to do the BR135 in 2010 but I need to iron out some work conflicts first. The mountains are where I'm most comfortable, not a road that I can see for 100 myles where I'm going...

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, any idea on when they are going to open that new trail that leads up to that bluff on Daniel's Park? I've run over that new bridge and on the new trail that leads up to the road of that new trail...but that barbed-wire fence and "trail closed" sign is still there (as of Sunday). One nice thing is they resurfaced the south hill up the lone tree bluff trail.

-scott

Unknown said...

Not sure when it's gonna open but my guess would be the spring. I ran on it a few times before the fence and don't know why they closed it. Bridge is nice isn't it??

Nick said...

Scott - you know how these things work. You do Brazil 135, then Badwater is just a matter of time - it's been scientifically proven.

brownie said...

I bet you'd run Badwater faster than you run Hardrock.

But it won't matter. After SCRUD kicks your butt so bad on ESPN this Saturday you'll be so psychologically damaged you'll return to playing soccer.

Unknown said...

mmmm-hmmm brown-eye. I've heard that before!