Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

5 myles - 1.07:01

Treadmill - 7:00 A.M.
Hot in the garage
mind/body - strong
easy effort

Prescribed workout: 60 minutes uphill walking

Actual workout: 5 myles - 1.07:01 - avg. 4.4 mph ~3200 ft of climbing. 12% @ 4.1mph, every 4th lap cranked it up to 7 mph @ 12%.

This workout simulates the walking I'll be doing up Bird Camp road during Hard Rock. I've always been a slow walker so these types of workouts can only help me during 60+ myles I'll be hiking at HR. So far this week I've got 11,300 ft of climbing and with Barr camp, Gray's/Torrey's, and Pikes still to come I should easily hit 25k - more like 28K.

4 comments:

brownie said...

Treadmill training for Hardrock. Weak.

What days you gonna be on Pikes? I'm going up to Barr Camp on Saturday morning and staying there overnight. I'll be going up to the Peak on Saturday.

Unknown said...

I've been waiting for your comments JT - it's about time!

I forget, you've never been UP Bird Camp road, just down. You'll see. You know what's weak is a 13 y.o. beating you by 6 minutes.

My plan for Saturday is to do in the incline on the way up to the peak and then the incline on the way back down. I'll start at 6 A.M. - should be to Barr by 7:10

brownie said...

I'll try to get an early start and meet you at Barr Camp. Gotta carry a bunch of crap up for some chicks so I'll be slow.

Haven't heard if Barr Trail is passable up to the top, so we may hike up the Cog. You might want to put a few phone books under your treadmill today, it gets pretty steep.

Joe Kulak said...

Ya know I did this same workout twice before Massanutten except at 15% grade (the highest the treadmill would go). It pays dividends. The first time I did it I was actually sore the next day. Different muscles. Hip flexors were all tight. Will definitely do this once or twice a week for a while.