Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, June 13, 2009

~26 myles - 5.23:38

Pikes Peak - 6:00 A.M.
50s, clouds lower - clear above 10K, dry trail
mind/body - tired/tired
Easy effort

Prescribed workout: 5-6 hours with elevation

Actual workout: ~26 myles - 5.23:38 - avg. 12:26 ~8000 ft elevation gain. Longs Ranch - Bob's - Barr trail to 2 mile - down to Cog station - incline - J pipe - Longs Ranch

2 and 1/2 hours sleep, lots of elevation gain at altitude, and post holing above 11K - perfect HR training!

My friend Scott Mendoza was in town for a convention so we threw a few back with good conversation until 1:30 A.M. Thanks Scott! I would do it all over again for the sake of suffering to spend time with good friends. When the alarm went off at 4 A.M. I had a sick feeling in my stomach because I felt I just shut my eyes.... I kinda did. At any rate, a tired sleepy mind on top of already tired legs is just what I needed for this critical workout. 4 weeks until HR!

Paul, Rick, Harsha, and myself made it out this morning - small group probably due to the early start and others racing. Paul is getting his old mojo back, he lead us up to Barr camp at a pretty good clip and then to A frame from there. We hit snow just after the 3 mile sign and made it all the way to the 2 mile sign (12,700 ft). We sat around for a bit up high and watched the low layer of clouds dance around the valley - kinda cool! On the way down Paul and Rick split at Bob's road to get back home while Harsha and I went down to the incline. The nice (or painful) part was that we already had close to 5 hours on our feet prior to the incline. Ended up doing the incline in 34 minutes and completely beat. Nice running with you guys today!
Post a Comment