Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, December 19, 2010

El Chubbo Pequeno - 3.54


This year Colorado joined the band wagon of a national series of unofficial races called The Fat Ass 50K prompted by Tony and adopted by Nick. The El Chubbo Grande was the first of two held on the "Nick Clark proving grounds" and it did not disappoint! No wonder Nick did so well this year, he's got some serious up and down right outside his door with many miles of secluded single track.

Nick organized 3 different distances of 22, 26, and 32, of which I chose the 22 mile (aka JV distance or Chubbo Pequeno). One and 1/2 weeks out from a minor procedure and little to no myles since then left me feeling fat and out of shape so a Fat Ass race was the perfect solution. In fact, I wasn't sure I would even make the shortest version with 5,500 feet of climbing!

Just under 50 people showed up leaving at 7, 8, or 9 in hopes of getting everyone back to join in the festivities around the same time. I chose the 9 start along with Dakota, Justin, Tim, Aaron, and a few others whose names escape me right now. I committed to taking it easy but quickly got swept up in the moment with Dakota and Justin because I wanted to chat. I knew I'd feel fine for at least two hours climbing but no guarantees after that. Sure enough, after the climb up Stout/Spring Creek to Towers road I was done. Justin and Dakota waited for me a few times but I felt bad so I urged them to go along without me. Both them were running everything and I just couldn't do it anymore. And to make matters worse, going downhill was a little jolting and shaking things up a bit (if you know what I mean).

All in all a good time. Got to hang out with some Boulder folks, some Colorado Springs folks, and some Ft Collins folks while drinking down some holiday cheer. And that's what makes the trail running community so cool! Nick did a great job getting all these folks together and marking the trail really well - thanks Nick! Pearl Izumi sent along some schwag for some giveaways and will do the same for the Ponderous Posterior 50K on January 15th, so thanks to them. I was a little surprised though, no one wanted to claim the prize for Fattest Ass in the end... Maybe we'll have to make the giveaway a little better next time.

12 comments:

footfeathers said...

Great hanging out with you as usual. Glad you got that forced rest and hope to see you soon.
Tim

Anonymous said...

Hmm, yes...the person who won the fat ass competition definitely did NOT have a fat ass!

Aaron said...

I appreciate the free hat, despite having a pretty skinny butt...just glad no one else was willing to enter the contest!

Unknown said...

maybe next time we should define what the "fat ass" award is for. For instance, the person who most represents the race (ie coming right off the couch). Not so much the size of rump but the spirit of the race, nice, round, flat, or bodacious - doesn't matter.

footfeathers said...

I think you and I were the best contenders for that purpose (least prepared).

Just registered for a bunch of races on my schedule and sent in my Hardrock entry (got back up plans if no hardrock...).

Are you thinking of Bear this year?

Rob said...

You (and maybe Dakota) get a pass for going JV. I kept waiting for all the 9am starters to fly by me on the 50K but they all wimped out. Thanks for coming up and nice to meet you.

Aaron said...

In that case, footfeathers you should have won the award based on that criteria. But maybe its fate that I got that award since you mysteriously never showed up at the top of Arthur's Rock and still took home the glory with the ever epic and elite marathon win ;)

footfeathers said...

You just didn't see me cause I was busy short-cutting the switchbacks.

Hellloooo, Scott. Are you thinking of Bear this year? That course took pretty good advantage of you last year. Just sayin'

Unknown said...

You funny Tim Long. The Bear IS calling my name but I need to see how I feel after UTMB. 3 100s in one year is more than I have done and that late in the year doing something like that could spell disaster.

Up in Breck right now. Snowing, snowing, snowing. Put Myles on skis for the first time - he loves the magic carpet!

footfeathers said...

Or... it could spell glory.

And, if you don't run it, I'll be pestering you to pace me there.

Be sure to post photos of that cute kid. How's Jaxon's math coming along? Smart boy.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Merry Christmas!

enjoy following your blog. great inspiration.

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you too Slomohusky! Thanks for reading and I'm glad you can get something out of my posts.