Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, December 27, 2010

2 runs: 14 myles - 1.54

Track/Bluffs - 11/4
50s, little wind, mild
mind/body - good
hard/easy effort

I'm going to take full advantage of this week of not having to work. I figure I'll get a jump start on 2011. No better way to get it going than a 2-a-day. The latest Running Times has an article on training for a 50K in which I took the idea of getting a track workout followed by a late day shake out to help with recovery.

The late morning session (8 myles) was not too tough but really intended to get the ball rolling with 10 x 400s. My goal was 78s. Two mile w/u and c/d with 2 minutes or 200 meters (turned out to be the same) in between each 400. Check out all the details here. I was most surprised that I could only get my HR to about 165 on each one while hitting 77-78 each time, felt much higher than that. Run #2 (6 myles) was simply a shake out, trying to keep the HR below 160. Details here. I'm really getting into all these charts and graphs, pretty interesting with the different aspects once I start playing around with the fields.

On another note, I'm reading a book entitled "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. If you are at all concerned about what you are shoving in your mouth you should pick up this book. I'm only 1/3 of the way through and so far he has talked about the history of nutrients, government, lobbyists, nutritionism, and most importantly The Western Diet. This book goes right along with my reasoning for boycotting Micky-Ds and other fast food chains.

3 comments:

Patrick Thurber said...

"the omnivore's dilemma" is also excellent. i might even like it more as it goes into greater detail regarding the history of certain foods in our culture and ends with some practical applications of the points raised.

nice blog, m'man! happy holidays/new year!

-patrick.

Jim P. said...

Pay especially close attention to the chapter on consuming in one sitting more than one Chipotle burrito and more than half of a large Domino's cheese pizza.

Unknown said...

That's funny! Yes indeed those are very healthy for you, especially the large cheese pizza from Domino's. I refuse to look at the caloric content of that! I guess I should put everything in context and consider those episodes 'fun foods'