Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

13 myles - 1.47:53

Deer Creek - noon
50s, cloudy, windy
mind/body - good/sore heal
steady effort

Today was the true test for the GPS on the Timex Global Trainer. I thought I would download this workout and find straight lines all over the place because of the tree cover. To my amazement, it performed very well. The Global Trainer measured 12.66 myles, which is fairly close to the billed 13.1. I'm impressed. In regards to HR, I know there are HR training manuals out there but I'm not quite ready to dive into those just yet. I did, however, dissect my run with a more critical eye today: avg HR of 158, 57 minutes above 170, 12 minutes above 175, and 4 minutes at 179.

This past week I've been feeling motivated (again) to train. Could it be the power of the beard which has inspired? I'll never be as fast as those other guys with beards but maybe there's a secret power to beards.

Two weeks growth so I guess you can say I'm not your typical Mexican

This guy sported the best one in all of ultrarunning and he was fast. I think he used to store his gels in there.




6 comments:

Local Mind Media said...

Grow that sucker out! You'll look like zz top by western states.

Bear 100 registration opens Saturday at 12am. I'll expect the answer to be "YES!" when I ask you whether you signed up on our run Sunday.

aj said...

ok scott.. how many 100's can you do in 2011? love the beard...your father is jealous... He can grow a mustache.

Anonymous said...

Well,well check out the other guy with the beard...he would be honored to be on your Blog. Good Luck with your 2011 running. :Q)

Unknown said...

Someone else appears to be the picture as well... Carolyn. Happy new year to all you back in Perry!

Speedgoat Karl said...

We love Brandon! he certainly won the award for best beard. Now you should hit the AT in Maine in August....lotta beards there, and long.

I"m looking at 7 100s this year....wanna race? RMS?

Unknown said...

Wow Karl 7 hundreds?? Two in a calendar year is all I can seem to handle, WS and UTMB this year. I applied for MMT but didn't get in and didn't want to be on the wait list so I'm doing Miwok instead.

I think the only place we could possibly race is The Bear. You give me an hour and you have deal! On top of that, you race me at 50K and the time difference will be added or subtracted from an hour leading into the bear. Make sense? Example: I beat you at Chuckanut (or another 50K) by 21 minutes then my gap at the bear is 1.21, you beat me by 8 minutes then 52 going into the bear. Your time vs my time at the bear (18:xx vs 22:xx) - should be a no brainer for you. Now, what's on the line? Beer? Money? Braggin rights? I could settle for telling my son's one day that I beat Karl Meltzer at 100 myles.