Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, December 11, 2010

9 myles - 1.05:02

Lone Tree Loop - 9 AM
30s, clear, dry
mind/body - not working for me today
easy effort

Very uncomfortable run this morning, not sure why since the body and mind are rested. Guess that's just how it goes sometimes. I also had a strange twinge in my calf that hurt all day but now is fine. Just the creaks of getting old huh?

I finally watched Super Size me. Wow! What a good reminder of how bad we eat here in the United States. This guy put on 17.5 lbs in 30 days with 10 of that coming in the first week. Which means the body stored as much as it could initially to preserve itself and then leveled out and adjusted to the calories coming in, ~5000/day. Also he found himself depressed most of the time and the only time he was happy was right after a meal, which made him want to eat more Micky-Ds. On top of all that his cholesterol shot straight through the roof, chest pain, and a fatty liver. Make no mistake about what is happening here in the U.S. with very powerful lobbyist in Washington protecting fast food. Things are NOT going to change unless YOU decide to boycott chains like Micky-Ds.

See if you can set a New Years resolution of not eating the big four: Mickey-Ds, Burger King, Wendy's, and Jack in the Box. Save your calories for beer....

5 comments:

Jim P. said...

Good beer, that is.

Matt said...

I love it when he throws-up sitting in his car. Good movie.

Read some of Schlosser's Fast Food Nation.

Then see the more recent film Food Inc.

I pulled the plug (for good!) a few months ago. With the 6 year old, fast food is a treat, with the toy and all, plus it's easy, etc. But no more.

I remember hearing that MickyD's is the largest distributor of toys in the world. Something like that.

Grae Van Hooser said...

Yo, I recently picked up some Ranger IPA the other day. Good stuff!I'm currently rotating with Mirror Pond.
Anyway, I was with my girls who are in elementry school and we were Trick - R - Treating at the local high school and I noticed they have an actual "snack bar" in one of the hallways. An actual room ! Stocked with shit! Chips, candy, soda. Holly crap! I couldn't believe it. I'm up against Satin! I can't believe they sell that poison to kids. And by the way, my kid's are banned from McDonald's since birth. That shit isn't even real food. All other FF's are a "treat" very seldom. It's like a constant war against the world with your kid's.

Brian said...

"I punch my kids very time we drive by a McDonalds"
After we watched the movie the kids said "Dad now we know why you never take us to McDonald's"
BFish

Chad said...

Love the Boycott idea... we need to push it into a National Campaigna and put the damn places out of business...