Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Thursday, September 2, 2010

41 myles - 7.13:09

50s to 70s, clear, nice and dry
mind/body - good all day
easy effort

Call it a birthday run. Call it a one year anniversary CT run. It was just simply a great run with great company and great weather.

Somewhere in the Buffalo Creek area

Old familiar marker

Didn't quite start from the same starting point (Indian Creek today) or as early as a year ago but it sure did feel like the same old adventure. Lots of memories for me today. I can't say I was excited to start but by the time Tim and I were in the middle of the first section the juices started to flow.

Our goal was 7 hours, which is a conservative pace to think about but add in 6400 ft of climbing and it becomes a bit more of challenge. I did this run a few years ago in 6.54 but I was killing myself to get under 7 hours. Today was a solid, steady effort. Not once did we red line or hunch over with our hands on our knees. We were running everything we could and power hiking the steeper sections all the way to Wellington Lake road. My wife and son picked us up at Wellington Lake road and drove us back to Denver - thank you my wife!

As far as nutrition is concerned, I tried something new today. I bought some of this stuff and mixed it in with my Powerbar Endurance drink. A total of 1.5 cups of Maltodextrin (141 g CHO) and 6 scoops of Powerbar (102 g CHO) mixed in with 70 ounces of water gave me a total of 243 grams of Carbohydrate. The body can process 60g/hour, so for me today I was well below that with 35g/hr as my solution was bone dry in the end. But remember the body can process "up to" 60g/hr, it doesn't mean it will or that you should try to hit that. The important thing is that my energy was solid and constant throughout the day. I did not eat any gels, only two 6 inch tortillas with Nutella and one Odwalla bar. I was very religious about taking drinks every 15 minutes. I had no belly aches and as I said before, my energy was solid throughout the day. One little caveat just in case you decide to mix maltodextrin in your electrolyte drink: it does not dissolve very well so mix way ahead, maybe even the night before, so you don't get clumps

7 comments:

Footfeathers said...

Wow, I look thrilled in that photo. Aside from being frozen the first couple hours I had a blast. One of the best days I've had on trails in a long time. I think if you take out my extended potty break we likely hit your solid time of 6:54. Thanks for towing me around for the day and also a pleasure to meet and spend time with the wife and little one (I need to watch some DVDs with that boy sometime and share snacks again -good for the mind and heart!).

GZ said...

Daaaaaammn. I thought about 41 for my 41 ... and got tired thinking about it. You did it. Nice work!

trudginalong said...

Do you have any problems with the maltodextrin mix foaming up? I've used a bit of it (hammer sustained energy mix) but have problems with it foaming up, I'm wondering now though if I were to mix it the night before if it would dissolve enough to prevent that.

Unknown said...

FF - what was nice is that we kept it mellow all day and still had a great time (literally and figuratively)

GZ - I'm getting old.... Question is will I be able to 80 on my 80th??

Patrick - Sustained Energy has other stuff in it that makes it foam. I had no issues with foaming with the pure Maltodextrin.

Anonymous said...

scott,

where are you doing the 30 with rick tomorrow, if you don't mind me asking.

john hemsky

Unknown said...

John here the message sent out by the CRUD group for Saturday's run:

"If your still in training mode because your big race is still weeks away and up for a 28-30 mile run I will be running the north end of the Air Force Academy then over to the trails to Rampart Reservoir. Around the Reservoir then head back via a short trot on the Stanley Canyon Trail and then down through a single track to the cars. Will be meeting at 6:30 a.m. at the Santé Fe Trailhead on Baptist Road. From there a short drive to the start of the trail"

See you then.

GZ said...

Scooter - let's make the pledge now to knowing each other at 80, having a beer over our birthday week and breaking the PPA record. That old crap is over rated. Just ask Mike Kloser.