Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, July 31, 2010

34 myles - 4.44:24

Colorado Trail seg 1 - 7 AM
70s, clear, dry
mind/body - solid
easy effort

Tomorrow Waterton Canyon is closing until December 2011 so this was my last chance to get on the CT that is closest to my home. I hate the 6 myles of dirt road leading to the CT but once on the single track, it doesn't get any better. About 500 other bikers and runners joined me this morning to get their last taste of Waterton as well, never seen it so busy before. That was fine with me because I knew once I got far enough away I wouldn't see anyone.

I felt great this morning. My plan was to keep it mellow all day and get a good solid run in. About an 8:20 pace, which is decent with about 4000 of climbing out and back. And just as I suspected, the closer I got to the Platte River, the fewer people I saw, save a few kamikaze mtn bikers flying around blind corners. At any rate, good to be back on the CT, reminiscing the whole time about last September.

Pretty good month for me - 321 myles. 1832 for the year. Last year 1911 through July so pretty similar.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I was one of the other 500 out there. It was crazy-crowded! Everyone had the same idea. Got 28 in. Sure gonna miss that place.

Unknown said...

Parking lot was pretty near full when I got there at 7. I'm sure we passed each other along the way. Good running Chris.