Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, July 24, 2010

18 myles - 1.59:37

Chatfield loop x2 - 11 AM
70s, clear, dry, a little wind
mind/body - eager to see what I've got
hard effort

I fully intended this run to be used as a baseline or gauge of my leg speed. I wanted to know what my comfortable, sustained pace looked like. Didn't actually turn out that way...

I took my time split for each loop at the 10K mark to get a feel for how fast/slow my pace was checking out. Loop #1 I really was relaxed and felt good about my pace but then I went through the 10K in 41:30 (6:41) - I was a little disappointed. I finished the loop in 1.01:44 (6:51) feeling good so I decided to see what I had left for the second 10K split. Loop #2 I pushed the pace to get into the red. I realize I was going from mile 10 to 16 and should slow down a bit, but I wanted to be faster... 2nd 10K split was 38:47 (6:15) and it hurt! I finished the second loop in 57:53 (6:25) and I. Was. Wrecked! This is not gonna be easy... but then again that's why we do it.

All flat.

4 comments:

Lucho said...

Solid! So soon after Hardrock too. Should I taper for Tuesday?

Unknown said...

No taper. Just a couple of guys getting out for a run, enjoying the company. We need to go slow enough that I can talk so I can pick your brain.

nmp said...

Sounds like you have some good speed still. I'm sure you will be running real fast by the time 50k worlds come around!

I guess all that Hardrock training was 'easy' compared to this :)

Unknown said...

'easy' in terms of enjoyment. I'm not a big fan of speed/track work and would much rather be in the mountains. Believe me, it would be easier to run Where's Waldo 100K but how can I pass this 'joy ride' up.