Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, August 24, 2008

8 myles - no time

Daniels Park - 11:00 a.m.
clear BLUE sky, dry, mid 80s
mind/body - refreshed
easy effort

AAAHHHH... back in beautiful Colorado with that Rocky Mountain air!!! Laced up the Black Pearl Izumi Peak XC today for the first time since Leadville. I was going to take a couple weeks off but what can I say, I'm a slave to running. One thing I was not a slave to today was time. Left the watch home and decided to go out enjoy myself; the way it's supposed to be all the time! I think too often I get caught up in performing each and every time on training runs and if the time is slow, something must be wrong. Today serves as a good reminder that easy days are just as important as hard days and a good mixture will only make me stronger.

At the beginning of the week I was content on wrapping up my 2008 racing season and just like after every other race, I was back on the computer by Thursday looking for a fall race. I've come to the conclusion that I often do this because I'm in such good shape I wanna see what I can do. I also realize all the hard work it took to get here so I might as well do what I can while I'm still able. Does anyone else go through this same process following a race? We runners are so forgetful of what pain feels like but once "it" returns we never want to feel it again. Remember this runners: Suffering is optional, pain is inevitable.

Oh btw, Hurricane/T.S. Fay stayed with us in Florida until the day we left. 2 ft! Yes 2 ft. of rain in one week! We sloshed our way through Universal Studios on Thursday, while I wanted to leave my family proved to be troopers and stayed the whole day in the rain! Saturday was our last day and we finally saw the blue sky. We decided to go to Aquatica water park for 1/2 day and make the most of it.

1 comment:

AJW said...

Scott,

Man, sounds great to be livin' the life and enjoying post-race recovery. I, for one, look forward to finishing Wasatch and not having anything on the calendar until Cool in 2009 (when you'll kick my ass again!)

Thanks for the kind words on my blog. 20:40 would be nice at WF but it would still be 28 minutes behind Leland's Masters' Course Record. I think I need a few more hard days!

AJW