Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

16 myles - 2.07:16

Deer Creek - 3:00 p.m.
mid 60's, clouds moving in, dry trail
mind/body - eager/slow to start
medium effort

Another fine day on the mountain! There is about 2600ft of elevation gain at Deer Creek with some spectacular single track - some of the finest around. I added on Black Bear trail today that adds just over 700 ft of elevation. I didn't feel like adding it on the way out but by the time I got back to it I was in a good rhythm so I shot down it. Going down the trail a red fox was carrying a meal in it's mouth and was coming right towards me, I made some noises but it wasn't gettin' off the trail! What the hell?!? I stopped but it was still comin' - I can see the headlines now "man mauled by small red fox". Finally the little fox veered off the trail and was out of sight. On the way back up, at about the same area, I saw a cute little baby fox that scared the bajeezes out of me! This cute little brown/gray creature nearly sideswiped me on the trail! I jumped, turned around and little fox crossed the trail as if it had never seen me. Where was mama? I didn't stick around to find out. I shot back up the hill and back to my car with a little adrenaline rush. Here I am thinking about Cougars and what they will do to me, now I'm wondering what a mama fox will do to me...... what next a rabid squirrel??

No comments: