Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

11 myles - 1.18:18

Coyote Ridge - 6:00 A.M.
mid 50s, dry, nice
mind/body - relatively good
easy effort

Legs were a little dead to start but I guess that's to be expected after a long day in Leadville, right? "But NO! I can't have dead legs after a 43 mile run! I have to be able to repeat 11 more times in a row to complete the Colorado Trail" I said to myself. So I quickly stopped feeling sorry for myself and bucked up to finish the run really nice. Avg. of 7:07 and feel great now.

Over the weekend I had the opportunity... no. I had the honor of pacing B Fish at Leadville. Pacing is a precarious thing, not only do you as a pacer have to keep up with nutrition and stuff but you have to remind your runner to do the same. I will admit I failed Brian a few times as we got into the aid station and did not get him what he needed right away - either I was talking or just was completely absent minded. Sorry BFish. I really do love to spend time with B Fish on the trails because no matter his condition he always seems to have something positive to say. Like the first time he puked - he said "that one is for Joe since he couldn't be with us". As a pacer when your runner is puking his or her guts out, it is the most helpless feeling in the world. I didn't know what to say during or afterward because I knew he was hurting so I didn't say anything. What are you gonna say, "whoa are you alright?" or "that's it, get it all out." Are those comforting words? What are comforting words when your runner is puking? I will tell you that after Brian puked he ran his ASS OFF! He ran the entire road back to Fish hatchery. Then he ran the entire Hagerman road and nearly all the CT. After that he had an hour split to the Tabor boat ramp from May queen, all after he puked. So he went from the dark depths, straight into vomitus euphoria and then back all over again. That man is tough! I'm really proud of him for gutting it out! Congratulations Brian it was my honor and pleasure to be with you most of the day!

And to all my friends that I saw in Leadville, it was great to see you and catch up a bit. Congratulations to all who not only finished, but toed the start line. It's never easy to get to the start of hundred and those who made it are winners in my book. The race is supposed to be the celebration of the training but sometimes it doesn't work out that way, but that's what keeps us coming back. Trying to make a better version of ourselves. That's the ultra spirit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You gonna puke all day or ya gonna get you butt moving down the trail sick boy!" That's what you say Scotty, none of that nice crap.
You did not fail me at all you keep me going alot more then i would have on my own!
Just feels right cruising down the trail talking some smack enjoying the day.
Thanks a again for the great job pacing,
BFish

Breeves2000 said...

Very well put. I like your assessment of the ultra spirit. I also like your creative licensing with "vomitus euphoria." Might have to re-use that one day. :-) It was good seeing you out there as well. Don't get too cerebral about the upcoming CT adventure. There will be plenty of time for that while you're out there.