Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, May 11, 2009

8.5 myles - 1.07:10

Matthews/Winters + Zorro - Noon
mid 70s, dry, clear
mind/body - strong
Hard effort

Prescribed workout: 60 minutes marathon pace on flat or same effort on hilly trails

Actual workout: 8.5 myles 1.07:10 avg. 7:54 ~2800 ft elevation gain

I obviously took the hilly trails option and just hammered! My effort was beyond 6:15 MP because I was worked when I got done. Anyone know how to calculate pace effort when combining elevation? I was a full 6 minutes faster this go around compared to last time. I feel like the rubber has finally hit the road as far as HR training - no looking back or second guessing my decision to pass on WS.

I officially declined my entry into WS today with this response from Greg Soderlund:

Hi Scott,
Thanks for confirming that you will be unable to join us at WS this year. Good luck at Hard Rock.
Cheers,
Greg Soderlund, RD
Western States 100 Presented by Montrail

It was a gut wrenching decision but it was the right thing to do. I have tried for the past 3 years to qualify for WS with my best finish being at WTC in 5th a couple years in a row. I remember how dejected I felt, wanting "it" more each time. AND now I say NO?!?! I've worked hard over the last few years to become a better runner and I've learned alot about myself - call it a better version of me. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. So if I've created a better version of me then WS will come around again and I will be ready! But for now Hard Rock is the reason and my passion!
Post a Comment