Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Friday, November 12, 2010

It's that time of year

Rest. The hardest part - believe it or not. I'm fit but tired. In past years I've tried to maintain my fitness without a break but have paid dearly with injuries later the next year. To top it off, I'm an official Master's runner now so the down time is vital to make it through next year. Especially considering the schedule I'm looking at.

NEW: Mackenzie Lobby from Running Times writes an article on MMTR.

Nothing set in stone except for one race, and that is The almighty Western States. I used my auto entry from MMTR and signed up this morning. Now the question is what do I want to do to build to WS?? Hmm.... As it stands right now my goal for 2011 would be to win the Montrail Ultra Cup. That means my schedule would center around all the MUC races such as: Bandera, Mt Cheaha, Way Too Cool, American River, and Ice Age. Outside of that the tough decision comes when I have to decide on Hard Rock, my favorite race. This might be the year I skip Hard Rock (because I won't be able to race it) and go for UTMB, another one on the list.

So for the next month I'll keep the blood flowing with 20-30 mile weeks, during which time I will solidify my schedule. It always comes together so I'm not too worried about it. Just time to try and relax both mentally and physically - by far the hardest part.

Also I updated my top 3 beer list. Terrapin Hopsecutioner makes the list, bumping off Gubna. Yes Gubna has been my fav. for a while but truth be told; I only had it on draft and last week I bought some cans and did not like it as much. Besides Terrapin's mascot is a vicious looking turtle. This list is getting tough! During my down time I might have to make it a top 5 or 10. C'mon now - Stone IPA or Modus Hoperandi isn't even on the list.

btw - thank you for all the comments on the MMTR post. I've been traveling so I haven't had time to respond but I appreciate all the kind words and the people I met in Virginia.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would certainly miss you at Hard Rock.

trudginalong said...

Not a bad time for a break, and a beer. Enjoy it. No CO races huh?

Brian said...

Sounds like we need to get together and collect some data for your "list"
BFish

Rick said...

Enjoy the break. Some of the best exploring is done during this time. And try a Terrapin Hopzilla, I had one not too long ago, one of the biggest DIPA's I've had.

Anonymous said...

Great season Scott.Already looking forward to your top 10 finish at western states 2011,rest up first though!!!!!

nmp said...

Enjoy a nice break Scott!

UTMB should be a good replacement for HR. I have heard that they are fairly similar but UTMB just doesn't have the high elevation. Better get practicing with your trekking poles (or 'sticks' as I think they call them) so that you can fit in over there ;-)

brownie said...

I want a review on the Slap Yer Mammy!

GZ said...

Concur - great season. Hope we get to share a few strides soon. Enjoy the down time.

Oh, Avery Maj.

Anonymous said...

I think it's interesting that you do so well despite (seemingly) runing less than other ultrarunners. What does a typical 20-30 mile offseason week look like for you? Are those miles on trails or on the road.

Unknown said...

PG - There will probably be a CO race in there somewhere, just easier to plan.

Yes BFish the beer list needs revision by sampling and I need help.

Rick - I did try Hopzilla at the same bar but didn't like it as much, maybe too much

Thanks Paul! A top 10 at WS is a very tall order but will be shooting for it.

Nick - Yes the sticks. Never tried them but apparently it's the way to go

GZ - we've certainly crossed the same paths this year, just at different times. Hope to see you at El Chubbo on the Fort.

Anon. - My mileage has increased significantly over the last couple of years from 50s to 80 or 90s and that's BIG for me. In fact, I think 80 or 90 is standard for most ultrarunners. There are very few who crank out 100 - 160s on a regular basis and remain uninjured. When Paul Dewitt coached me last year he taught me quality over quantity and that's why I've had more success at races I'm running faster more efficiently. In turn, this approach has lead to a longer racing season. In past off seasons when I do 20-30 mile weeks it is typically on the trail with some rolling hills, running 4 days a week. This year so far I have just under 3000 myles, and again, I think that mark is pretty standard for most ultrarunners.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic season Scott. Loved reading your posts and look forward to seeing where you take it from here; esp. coming off your last race with a win. Congrats!

Wyatt Hornsby said...

Scott: Western States will again be epic. I'm very happy for you that you won MMTR to cap off a great year. Also, I agree with you that rest is critical. I've come to learn tha hard way that adequate rest is just as important as big mileage. I do think running takes a toll on the endocrine system and, from what I've read, it can take 2 months for the endocrine system to rebound. Enjoy your rest and hope to see you on the trails soon.

Wyatt