Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, November 21, 2010

8 myles - 57:53

HR urban trails - 8 AM
40s, North wind, dry
mind/body - good
easy effort

Today capped off a 35 mile week; running 4 times, feeling really good each time. I caught myself several times wanting to push the pace but reeled it back each time and made a casual run out of it. Nothing definitive on the racing schedule yet because I'm waiting for PI to finalize their schedule of races they want us to run. Bandera is looking like it's not gonna happen for me right now. I promised my wife I would take care of something in the off season, in which case I would not have time to ramp up to Bandera. To fill in (and if recovery is short) I may go to Rocky Raccoon, and that's a big "may". The big lure is racing the old guys like Joe Kulak and AJW. Other races I'm thinking about early are: Mt. Cheaha 50k, Chuckanut 50K, WTC 50K, and Buffalo 50 mile.

A big congratulations to my mother who ran 2.16 in the Mesquite 1/2 marathon on Saturday. Growing up my mother was not a runner (at least she didn't do it) and just picked this up two years ago. I cannot tell you how proud of her I am!! She called me after the race and she was disappointed, she wanted to go under two hours but the wind was too strong. And she wonders why I keep going back?? I'm sorry mom but you are hooked - keep it up!

Earlier in the week Jaxon had a blessing brunch at his school. The parent's were allowed to come in and share something special about their children. Here is a little video I put together. I was afraid I would not make it through a talk because I (and Nicole) have a tendency to wear our emotions on our sleeves and I didn't want to embarrass Jaxon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks scott..i do know why you keep running...i guess i just hate to lose...as long as the legs keep moving i guess i will keep trying.just have to put mother nature in the equation.

Grae Van Hooser said...

Ooo, my wife has been interested in me doing the "something". No way. I'm to chicken.I've interviewed several victims and they said you can't even walk for a couple of days, let alone run for about a week. That's a week to long with someone of my addiction level.Probably a good idea not running a 100k in winter and the the training that goes with it. Might make doing well at States a lot more difficult. It seems that those who are running fast in spring are worn out by the time the big 100's arrive in summer. And didn't you post recently that you were laying low in the winter?

Unknown said...

"Might make doing well at States a lot more difficult. It seems that those who are running fast in spring are worn out by the time the big 100's arrive in summer."

Grae - What do you mean? Saving myself early in the season to have some zest in June or A "little something" might ruin my whole year? I'm going into this with much trepidation so don't scare me away all together!

Nikki Hola said...

WOW Scott! You have me sobbing over here at the Hola household. Nice video of Jaxon...it was amazing. Tim and I agree, you have a very special boy there. Everytime we see him we say to each other how great of a kid he is and we hope Connor and Spencer will grow up to be like him. What a great dad you are too to put that video together. And you know what they say, kids learn best by example, so way to go Mom and Dad Jaime.

Gangels said...

Hey Eddy,
I'll give you a little piece of advice about the big V. Have it done by an urologist instead of your family practice doc/internist. Better to have someone who is familiar with the anatomy than some person rooting around you sac. I found the whole procedure to be pretty pain free.
gangels

Grae Van Hooser said...

Don't worry my man. You will do well if you prepare well. States kind of requires it's own unique preparation for most. It's all about pounding the downhills in training and heat training the body if you can. As for the downhills. Run them hard, run them long. If you you think you have done enough, you probably haven't. Do more! Learn to mix the pounding & recovery of such with your tempo & speed workouts. Learn how to rest. Everyone is different. Make sure you are recovered, fresh, & fit as you know you can be by June 1st. Then rest. I'm just saying, don't be all stoked and ready to go in winter & early Spring. A very few can hold on until the end of June. I'm sure you have the ability to do very well. Aren't most people a little nervous? That's o.k. Just try to ignore the hype. Don't read to much about the race. Do your own thing. Good luck & have fun preparing !

Unknown said...

Grae - Solid advice! And as I mentioned before I will lay low this winter and do some skiing. My mind has a hard time settling down, so this serves as a good reminder.

Nikki - thanks. Glad you guys are part of our lives!

Gangels - Urologist is on the list to call tomorrow. I feel a little better to know it's "pain free" but I have a feeling you are lying just a bit.